Power Mac G4 won't switch on

Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm hoping some kind soul will be able to help a newbie :)

I came to switch my G4 on this evening and nothing happened, it won't switch on, doesn't do anything. Tried both power buttons, have took cables out and back in but nowt.

OH has opened it up and am in the process of getting a new 3.6v battery off ebay. I know it's hard for people to diagnose remotely but is this the most common thing to go wrong in this type of mac? One other very odd thing happened and that was when I conect the power cable to either the hard drive or the mains it sparks slightly :eek: . Should I be v.v worried?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated

Cath

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Cath and welcome !

Sounds like you're going down the correct route...

In your circumstances, first check fuse in plug...(yours is probably ok because of the arching you describe !)

Then the next step would be the 'internal' battery...

So there's not much more you can do till it comes.

The 'sparking' arching is normal, but to prevent it turn the plug off at the wall...then plug it into the Mac...then turn on at the wall.

As you say it's hard to diagnose remotely, it may well be the battery or possibly the PSU (power supply unit).

Let us know what happens once you get the battery. Were you able to test the old one with a multi meter ? Was it dead ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric :)

Thanks so much for your reply.

I haven't checked the fuse, will get OH to have a look at it when he gets home from work (sorry I'm blond :rolleyes: ) and will order battery from ebay, it'll probably come in sooner or later whether I need it right now or not.

Funny you should mention the PSU as OH thought it could be that too but will go down the battery and fuse route first. Hopefully one of these 2 will sort it, fingers crossed.

I've not been able to test the old battery. I had thought about nicking the one from my Dads mac but wasn't sure if this would affect his memory by taking it out :confused: , remember I'm blond............ Didn't want to risk having 2 poorly macs! Do you think I should try nicking, er borrowing my Dads stuff?

Thanks again

Cath

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Cath,

no problem...

Standard fault finding procedure for your symptoms...

1) Check fuse
The chances are the power lead is the same as your kettle lead, just plug it into that, if it boils the fuse is okay !

2) Check Internal battery
You could 'borrow' from your Dad's Mac as long as it's the same type...but if something happened to your Dad's Mac, would he be happy !

3) Check PSU
I will have 'wiring diagrams' somewhere depending on the 'exact' Mac model you have. The PSU's do have internal fuses in them, but normally if they are dead then it is a case of bin it and get a new one, they are not normally worth trying to repair.

If you did want to 'borrow' your Dad's then let us know the exact model of both Mac's, so that we can check that the battery will work, before you try !

Oh, Wifey used to be blonde, so we best leave those jokes out ! ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric, Thanks again for your reply.

Hubby has returned from work and had a look at the patient. He has a multi meter and the battery is ok (I ordered one off ebay this morning :rolleyes: ), and the fuse is ok in the power lead. From your reply this morning this leaves the PSU. Because I'm **** all I know is the mac is a G4. How does my hubby :)D) check the fuse in the PSU (is it fairly easy to do? OH is fairly handy but has never taken a computer apart) and if that's ok what's next on the list or how much are they and where can I get one from?

Cheers again :)

Cath

PS, At least your wife was just pretending to be blonde, she had the sense to change back ;)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

need to know what type of G4 it is,

does it not say on the back ? What colour is it ? Grey/silver Blue& white ?

Then I can find the wiring diagram...

PS, At least your wife was just pretending to be blonde, she had the sense to change back...
...but now she can't use that for an excuse...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hiya,

Here's what's on the back.........

Model number M5183
400 Mhz
64 Mb SDRAM
20G
56k Modem

Ric said:
...but now she can't use that for an excuse...

Once a blonde, always a blonde :rolleyes:

Cheers

Cath

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have sent you via email the G4 manual...

Try doing the PMU reset first page 208...

Page 220 is where to start for the Powersupply testing.

If OH is not happy messing with electrics then it may be best to let an engineer check it. I don't want anyone to get electrocuted !!!

It may take a while to download it's a 10MB file...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
This is fab Ric, thanks so much. Will see if OH has the balls to have ago.

Will let you know how we get on.

Cheers again

Cath

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

Not good news :(. The reset didn't work and the PSU is dead. So, looks like we'll have to purchase a new one. There is a mac store near us, would you know if it's best to get one from them or elsewhere that you maybe can recommend?

Thanks for you help, you've been fab :)

Cheers mate

Cath

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

if the PSU is definitely dead, then it would probably be worth while, to have a trip to the local Mac Store, the next step is to put in a "Known good" PSU to check that everything else is okay, the Mac store should/will do this for you.

It shouldn't cost more than £30 to install a new one (plus the PSU cost !).

The only alternative is to get one from ebay, around £45 to £95 depending on the model that you need. The problem with going this way is that if it is something else wrong as well...then you will have to shell out more...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Just thought I'd check and update what's happening. After much consideration, and finding no PSU's cheaper than £195 + vat :eek: , we've decided to cut our loses and say goodbye to my old buddy G4 and say hello to a Mac Mini. One thing I can't find the answer to...........I'm presuming I can wire it up to my old monitor? It's an i mac type massive monitor, the one I got 6 years ago with the G4. Funds can't stretch to a new monitor too :(. Any advice as always appreciated :)

Cheers

Cath

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Cath,

I understand, it is probably the best plan.

You can always sell the old one on ebay, just be "specific/honest" about it being dead.

What make and model monitor is it ?

The Mini supports nearly all monitors, but it may need an adapter...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Have been doing some research, I don't think my monitor is compatible with a mini even with an adaptor. I cannot find any number (except a serial number) on the monitor but this is what it looks like......

http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_studio_display_17_cl.html

This link shows which monitors are compatible....

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300652

Doesn't look good does it?

I may have to strectch to a basic imac. Although it's cheaper, the ibook's screen looks too small so that's out. All I need it for is to run Quark for basic page layouts so a tiny screen won't do. Decisions, decisions........... :confused:

I'll go and raid my 11 month daugther's piggy bank, she'll never know ;)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

looks like your 'lucks' out...

Time to raid daughters piggybank...at least she'll still have the £250 from Gordon Brown !

Unless you have a Plasma/LCD tv that you could hook the mini up to ?

If you do a lot of page layout then the iMac would be better...that PSU repair is getting more appealing (cheaper) by every post !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

Update on the situation.

Have ordered a basic imac :D and have managed to get it on 0% finance :D :D. Daughters piggy bank lives to fight another day. Roll on next week when I pick it up........

Thanks again Ric for "being there" :) It's been really helpful having someone to mull things over with.

Cath

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

no problem, that's what we are here for !

You'll have fun with the new one, Photo Booth is funny ! And there should be a bit of a speed difference...

I presume you realise that your Apps will need updating to 'Universal' to get the best speed out of the iMac ?

I bet daughters happy !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric said:
I presume you realise that your Apps will need updating to 'Universal' to get the best speed out of the iMac ?

Just as I'm thinking everything's going ok you give me something else to fret about :rolleyes: . Please explain your quote :confused: , remember, blonde.

Cheers,

Cath

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Well you're new Mac has an Intel chip in it, not a PowerPC one.

So all the software developers are re-writing there software to be 'Universal' these means that it will run natively on both types of Mac.

Depending on your Mac history...it was the same when the Mac's changed from the 68k chips to the PowerPC.

All of your old Apps will work on your new Mac but they will work in emulation mode... Rosetta !

One thing though, you will know longer have 'Classic' and won't be able to run OS 9 applications.

Have a read through the links and let us know any questions you have...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question