Power Mac G4 won't switch on

Reaction score
ok, I kind of understand this but don't :confused: !

Here's what I do. Me and my Dad run a small publishing business. We use Quark to produce book layouts. I produce the layouts and then give them to my Dad on a disc to proof read. He's using a G4 similar (but a bit better) than my old one that died. So, should we be able to continue doing this if I'm using a new imac and he's using an old G4?

If we can't then I may as well order 2 new imacs :(

Cath

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

What version of Quark are you both using ?

What OS is your Dad using ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Sorry, should have given you these details before.

We're both using Quark 4.1 and I think my Dad is on OS 9.1.

Cheers

Cath

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

you're not going to like this...

Well, I presume then that your Mac was also running OS 9.x

So you have a bit of a learning curve to get through...the new Mac's all run OS X which is a little different to what you are used to ;-)

You can not run your Quark 4.1 on your new iMac !

Quark 4.1 needs to run in OS9 or what is now called 'Classic', the new "Intel" Mac doesn't allow you to run 'Classic'

The only way for you to use Quark on your new iMac is to upgrade your copy of Quark, around £250 !

Plus you have a bit of a learning curve there !

Now, with that said, the Quark files that you then produce could be sent to your Father and he will be able to open them, but there will be problems, text reflow etc. Plus any 'new' bits you use in Quark will get lost when 'downgrading' the files to work with 4.1

So that would then mean your Father also getting an upgrade to his Quark 4.1 !

Another £250, plus he would also need to upgrade his OS to 10.4.x (Tiger (£80)) for the new Quark to work...OS X is alos a bit of a memory hog, so depending on jow much RAM he has...he may need more !

If he's like my Father, he's probably quite happy with OS 9, and won't really want to change !

Decisions - Decisions !

Also, any other software that you use, Photoshop, illi etc would all need updating to a 'OS X' version if it is to be used on your Mac !

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Does the phrase "Can of worms" spring to mind? :mad:

Think I have my head around this, it's not good news is it :( .

Can I run a couple of things past you please before I share the even worse news with my Dad? I can give him worse case scenario then. I was joking when I said I'd have to raid my DD's piggy bank, it's mine and my Dad business account, and it's him I have to talk round :rolleyes: .

Ok, so if I was to get the new imac and if I can't run Quark 4.1 on it how can I upgrade it? There won't be any Quark running on my new imac so how would it accept the upgrade, IYKWIM? Is there an serial number or something that I'd have to input when the upgrade is being installed :confused:

Another fly in the ointment is that we need to check if our book printers are accepting the Intel run applications. I'm sure they will be but it's another question to be asked.

Why did my G4 die :(

Thanks again :eek:

Cath

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Worse case scenario,

New iMac for you £800 approx

Upgrade Quark for you £250 approx

Copy of Tiger for your Dad £80 approx

Upgrade Quark for your Dad £250 approx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To upgrade Quark, you need to find the 'Activation code' that came on a bit of paper, then contact Quark and make sure that both copies are registered, then they will walk you through 'buying' the upgrade. It doesn't need to be on the Mac. They will send a new install disk.

I may not be blonde, but that took a few minutes to 'get', must be old age creeping in !

If they are not registered copies to you, then a new copy is approx £950 !!! Each.

Another fly in the ointment is that we need to check if our book printers are accepting the Intel run applications. I'm sure they will be but it's another question to be asked.

All good Repro Houses/Publishes should be able to accept...(I used to own one !)

It's not a matter of accepting an Intel App...but accepting a "Quark version 6.5 Document" (or 7 depending on what you get !)

I can't see a lot of alternatives, except getting the local Apple Store to have a look at your old Mac and give you a quote on fixing it, and canceling the new iMac !

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric said:
To upgrade Quark, you need to find the 'Activation code' that came on a bit of paper, then contact Quark and make sure that both copies are registered, then they will walk you through 'buying' the upgrade. It doesn't need to be on the Mac. They will send a new install disk.

I've just checked my copy and I have a serial and a validation code but no activation code, I presume the validation code will be the activation code?

Ric said:
I may not be blonde, but that took a few minutes to 'get', must be old age creeping in !.

The sign of a good blonde is to make people think we're thick, we possibly are most of the time, but then stick something in that makes them think otherwise, IYKWIM. Who's the thick one then eh? :D ;)

I've spoken to my dad this evening and he's ok with getting whatever I need to get the job done. I don't think he'll bother with getting the quark upgrade, we'll just work on seperate projects rather than sharing.

Now, is there anything you haven't told me that I need to know :tongue: .

Seriously you've been the most amazing help. Thanks again :), Cath

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

activation=validation same thing ;-) the only ones I have at home are in the loft !

Now, is there anything you haven't told me that I need to know

Plenty !

If you want to learn Quark 6 then have a look here, it's not a bad investment.

You will probably need some help with fonts...but we can wait till you get your new Mac.

Do you need to get any data from the old Mac's drive ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric said:
activation=validation same thing

Cool, no problems there :cool: ............. yet :rolleyes: , nah, there shouldn't be with this one, I know my Quark is ok, I bought it myself many moons ago.

Ric said:
Do you need to get any data from the old Mac's drive ?

No, I'm a good girl, I back everything up :D . Other than a couple of little things that I can live without there's nothing worth keeping, thankfully.

Ok, I'll leave you alone for a few days................until I get my imac :D . I'm waiting for a call from the apple centre to let me know when it's in as they were awaiting stock. See you soon ;)

Cath

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

no problem !

Let us know when you get you're new toy (erhmm Business computer)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have sent you via email the G4 manual...

Try doing the PMU reset first page 208...

Page 220 is where to start for the Powersupply testing.

If OH is not happy messing with electrics then it may be best to let an engineer check it. I don't want anyone to get electrocuted !!!

It may take a while to download it's a 10MB file...

regards

Ric

Hi Ric -

I've got the same m5183 powermac g4, and am having similar problems. The computer refuses to power on, though strangely the green light does come on while it is pressed.

I've checked various troubleshooting tips from the Apple website and done the usual things (new power cord, etc) but to no avail.

Any assistance most welcome! If you could email me the manual too that would be useful .. I can't find it online.

Thanks!

Tobias

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Tobias and welcome,

I'll have alook for the manual and email it tomorrow, it's quite large from memory, 10+MB will that be okay with your email account.

Did anything happen before it died ? Was the time and date behaving strangely ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric -

Thanks for the quick reply and warm welcome. :) You all are a friendly lot.

Let me come clean and point out that this computer is one in my office that I'm in charge of - but am not in front of. This office is many miles away in Washington DC, and I'm in Seattle. I've never seen it - it was donated to us in the last six months. It's been working well so far and our team really relies on it for graphic design stuff.

They are a savvy bunch but tend to turn to me when they are stumped - as they are now. I just checked with them and they say they last used it about two weeks ago, and they have had intermittent problems with it freezing up and having to be cold rebooted. Otherwise no time/date issues to report.

Please feel free to send the 10MB file to my gmail account - no problem there.

Thanks!

Tobias

Reaction score
hello, i've just joined. i bought a cheap repair-job g4 (M5183) and wondered if i too could get a copy of that manual. i'm pretty certain the psu is dead. i had already tried the pram battery replacement, the pmu reset, still absolutely no response when i switch on. the psu is acbel-9841-291, it's a 22-pin psu. it's the most logical problem i can think of. i have 3 questions:

1- will a standard battery tester work when checking if there is voltage coming into the mac (by checking pins 9 and 16 on mobo 'psu plug')

2- will i have to look for the acbel-9841 psu specifically ? will i be able to install a different psu ? i have a dell psu somewhere, has 22 pins!

3- is there a link anywhere for "how to install a psu in M5183 mac" ? (i can't find a link anywhere.

great site, thank you!

U

Unregistered

I have a similar problem. The battery checked out ok. And I tested the monitor power outlet on the power supply to my G4 and it has juice. Computer will not turn on. It is a Powermac G4 1Gig(dual 500 MHz processors).

Ask a Question