Macbook A1181 won't boot/power on

Reaction score
I recently bought a MacBook A1181 and it doesn't power on/boot up, a new battery has been replaced and a new power adapter but nothing seems to happen, when I press the power button the power light comes on for a split second then goes but when I hold the power button and while I'm holding it the power light comes on and I can hear a drive or fan running but black screen, once I take my finger off the power button nothing happens (no power light, no sounds of the drive or fan), the battery is fully charged but still not turning on, I tried using it without the battery but with the power adapter plugged in and no hope
Please help as I don't know what else it could be

Reaction score
That machine is rather "old", having been made in 2006. I'm just saying that, as you could also have issues with the internal hard drive.

Also, given that you cannot boot the machine by just using the power adapter does point to an issue with the machine. Unfortunately, your MacBook does not have a Firewire 800 port. If it did, and if you had access to another Mac that also has such a port, there would be a way that you could try and diagnose, via the "good" Mac, what is wrong with your machine.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Actually, A1181 is a general model number for several years of MacBook models from 2006-2009. Basically, all of the original polycarbonate design MacBooks.

-Can you check your serial number here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage and let us know what is give you. For example, MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007).
-Is the new replacement battery and genuine Apple, or third-party brand?
-What wattage is the AC power adapter? It originally came with a 60W.
-What happens in you use the AC adapter without the battery installed? Does it power on then?

If you hear sounds when you power on, and the display doesn't come on, then there may be a display or logic board issue.

C

Reaction score
Thanks again Cory for the information about the model number.

Also, regarding "What happens in you use the AC adapter without the battery installed? Does it power on then?", john21 originally stated that he tried that, with no success: "I tried using it without the battery but with the power adapter plugged in and no hope".

Ask a Question