Macbook A1181 will not turn on.

Reaction score
Hello again, this was my previous thread a while back, and while I was able to successfully replace the logic board with a new one that I ordered, the problem seemingly fixed itself, but then didn't.

The battery charges fine, but there is no boot no matter what I do. I suspect this may be a problem with the PRAM battery, located underneath the logic board on this model macbook, as I think the PRAM battery is responsible for that turn-on instant, and if it's dead or dying, it won't do anything when you press the power button.

Am I correct in suspecting it? Would replacing it be a good way to get the machine back up and running? If not, what else could be the problem? Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again.

Yes, an exhausted PRAM battery could cause that situation, but it may also be another failed logic board or other issue,

-Were you having issue with the date/time or other settings prior to the startup issue?
-Did the main battery ever run down totally to cause the clock to be off?

C

Reaction score
Hello again.

Yes, an exhausted PRAM battery could cause that situation, but it may also be another failed logic board or other issue,

-Were you having issue with the date/time or other settings prior to the startup issue?
-Did the main battery ever run down totally to cause the clock to be off?

C

I highly doubt it was another failed logic board.
I was not having date/time issues, here is what my issue is;
  1. Macbook did not turn on (pressing power does not do anything, holding power does not do anything)
  2. Switch out logic board for another
  3. Macbook turns on only sporadically, I needed to have an OS installation DVD/USB ready to be launched, otherwise it would give me the flashing folder icon, and I would have to restart it again, which may or may not work. I tried installing MacOS on it, but once it came time in the installation to restart, it wouldn't (this was all in the course of one evening).
  4. The next morning it would not start at all, the only activity I see is the laptop's battery is able to charge fully when plugged into the wall, that's it.
  5. Frustrated that nothing has changed and the laptop is still not working, I decided to leave it for a few months until I felt I was able to restart my efforts.
By the main battery do you mean the large, detachable one? If so, yes it would be depleted by sitting idle for a period of time. Keep in mind this is an aftermarket replacement battery, as the original I got with it was very bloated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If the main battery drained completely, and the PRAM battery is exhausted, then you could continue to have the issue. A new PRAM battery may help in that scenario, as long as the issue was resolved after its replacement.

I agree, the odds are against another failed logic board, but it is possible. I doubt it too...just wanted to mention it.

I would say it could be a bad power button/top case, as the power on is intermittent. However, if you are getting the flashing folder icon, that leans towards a corrupted OS X install, bad hard drive, failing RAM, or logic board.

It could be very tough to narrow this down without being able to see the MacBook first-hand and having the opportunity to run additional hardware/software diagnostics.

C

Ask a Question