Please help! i do not want to wipe all the memory!!

Reaction score
Hi there,
I opened my iTunes today and was told that some of the files were missing and that i would have to re-install itunes in order to fix this problem. This has happned to me in the past and as instructed I have re-installed only to find my whole memory wiped, resulting in hours of re-loading of songs. Is there any way that I can solve this problem without wiping any of my memory?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,

:) aqua_fire:)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Can you let us know what version of iTunes, are you on a Mac or PC and what version of OS are you running...

This all helps...

ITunes does not store the 'Songs' in the Application itself, so the chances are that all your songs are still on your computer, it's just a matter of 'informing' the new version of iTunes where to look for them.

Let us know the answers to the above questions so that we can help further...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I am using iTunes for ipod mini version 4.8.0.31 and on a PC computer. I dont know what an OS is sorry! all the songs are on my computer still but when i did reinstall this, it wiped all the songs off my ipod and i had to painstakingly reload them all back on and i am desperately trying to avoid this!

Ric said:
Hi there and welcome !

Can you let us know what version of iTunes, are you on a Mac or PC and what version of OS are you running...

This all helps...

ITunes does not store the 'Songs' in the Application itself, so the chances are that all your songs are still on your computer, it's just a matter of 'informing' the new version of iTunes where to look for them.

Let us know the answers to the above questions so that we can help further...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I'm using a windows 2000 computer, please can anyone help! i dont want to have to erase all my memory if all the files are missing to fix it~!

aqua_fire said:
I am using iTunes for ipod mini version 4.8.0.31 and on a PC computer. I dont know what an OS is sorry! all the songs are on my computer still but when i did reinstall this, it wiped all the songs off my ipod and i had to painstakingly reload them all back on and i am desperately trying to avoid this!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a little unsure as to what the problem is ?

Are all the songs 'on' the PC and 'not' on the iPod ?

Sorry for the questions...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
well, at the moment, they are on both, it is just i cannot open my iTunes because some of the files are missing. I need to fix this but the only way i can see to fix it is to reinstlal iTunes as it says to do, which wipes all the memory off my ipod and off my itunes. Is there any way around this?

Ric said:
Hi there,

I'm a little unsure as to what the problem is ?

Are all the songs 'on' the PC and 'not' on the iPod ?

Sorry for the questions...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

just reinstalling iTunes should not cause you to lose your Music...

The default settings for iTunes will store your music in a folder found at...

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

The iTunes program is at...

C:\Program Files\iTunes

So just reinstalling shouldn't overwrite your music...

You could always back up that folder just in case...

You could also back up the 'Library Files' too

What files does it 'say' are missing ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
reinstalling itunes never wipes the memeory from your ipod ( if that would be so my ipod would have been wiped 10 time sover by now )

the music files on the pc it self are stored in a seperate folder as ric said
the only thing you need to do is tel itunes where they are if you don tuse the default folder
and to wipe everything from the ipod you have to actually format it

just be sure to turn automatic sync off

Ask a Question