Please help me get rid of this stupid drive.

Reaction score
I tried posting this in the /r/applehelp subreddit but got no response so I thought I would try here as this is a site dedicated to Macs.

I recently created a windows partition for a test, and then deleted it. When I deleted it, it created an untitled drive that appears greyed out and takes up space from my main "Macintosh HD" drive. I can't figure out how to reclaim the space into the "Macintosh HD" drive. I've tried terminal commands as-well as going into recovery mode and repairing the disk. I also couldn't delete the drive through partitions as I got error messages. The two drives don't even add up to 250 GB (my mac's total space) as there is a small sliver that seems to be unidentified by the laptop in the partition section. It's really frustrating, I basically just want my mac to be in factory settings, with one "Macintosh HD" drive with 250 GB.

Here are screenshots of what I am seeing.

https://imgur.com/a/KMtyyGM

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Did you manually create the partition with Disk Utility, or did you use the Boot Camp Assistant?

I believe that if you used Disk Utility, and are having those issues, the only way to unify the partitions is to backup your data, totally erase the dive, and partition it as a single. You may have to use the recovery partition to accomplish that.

C

Ask a Question