Physical Trackpad Button is Too Sensitive!

Reaction score
The physical button on my Macbook Pro's trackpad is very sensitive - particularly on the right side but also on the left.

It's so sensitive, that if I graze a finger over the ride side, it will register as a click, even when the button isn't actually pressed.

This results in many things like accidental clicks that highlight things (and delete them if i type over it, often I don't notice until too late). Typing that paragraph, alone, resulting in 10 accidental clicks.

In addition, when I do click (or when an 'accidental click' is registered), sometimes when I click off it doesn't register. This results in many problems when it comes to typing. including the stuff listed above.

Some info:

- Late 2006 Macbook Pro (aluminum case). Snow Leopard 10.6.8
- It is not under applecare warranty, so I don't want to bring it into a Genius bar.
- I've taken it apart before to upgrade the hard drive and RAM, so if this can be fixed by replacing something than its no problem for me.
- Happens at all computer temperatures, doesn't matter if the logic board/case is hot, warm, or cool.
- This happened gradually, over the past couple of months.
- It does NOT do this when I'm using a regular USB mouse, so it sounds like a hardware issue. Due to the nature of my job, I cannot bring along a mouse (no matter how small) to use.

Things I've tried:
Restarting
Resetting PRAM and SMC'
Turning off all extra trackpad options. Tap to click, secondary click, etc.

Ugh, this is really frustrating!! Can somebody please help?? :(

Reaction score
The physical button
are you sure its the physical button and you don't have Tap to Click turned on?

System Preferences > Trackpad > Point & Click > Tap to Click

Reaction score
In that case it's a hardware problem and needs to be taken to an Apple Service Centre near you.

Reaction score
I said I don't have the time to take it to an Apple Service Centre, as I use it for both work and school. Besides, its not under warranty anymore because I opened it up to do some upgrades on it a few years ago.

Isn't there a way I can fix it myself?

Reaction score
Not unless you're a certified Apple Tech and have access to Apple Service parts.

If your cars brake-pads were warn and needed replacing would you make time to take it to a service centre???

Reaction score
Of course, because that's my car. That's completely different; its a matter of safety.

I found 2 solutions that I can try... :
1. Open 'er up, use a compressed air can to blow out any dust/debris that may be in there.
2. Replace top case, the official part that is compatible with mine is just over $250...

Reaction score
I thought you would like some info. I just had my trackpad replaced by Apple this week and it took about 1 hour with an appointment. It would have been sooner but the tech was backed up. Hope this helps!
Trackpad Assembly ($51.14)
Hardware Repair Labor( $39.00)

MacBook Pro Version 10.6.8

Ask a Question