Photos Confusion

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to do something that I thought would be simple but is driving me round the bend! I'd like to send someone a photo I've taken in an email.

I have taken some photos on my iphone. When I plug my phone into my mac Photos asks me if i want to import the photos I've taken - which makes sense so I do.

I'd now like to send someone one of these photos in Outlook. I create a new message and click 'pictures'. I have two options 'import from file' or 'photo browser'. I don't use Import from File as I don't know where Photos has put my photos so I use Photo Browser - which works great - I can see all my photos that are in Photos. But when I drag one into my email it's huge. Fair enough - it's at the iPhone's native resolution so I need to resize it for email.

I've scoured google and it seems Outlook 2016 on Mac doesn't have a resize function. Fair enough. So I'd like to resize my photo in Photos I guess (I don't really want to do this as presumably I'll lose my original, but I guess I can live with that). But again - I can't see anyway of doing this (I can see how to crop/flip and otherwise edit the photo but not resize).

Again a google search suggests I use Preview to resize the photo - but Preview requires that I know where Photos has stored my photos.... which, as before, I don't know.

So I'm stumped! I think I'm probably missing something really obvious here but I'll be darned if I can think what it is.

I'm on El Capitain on a 2013 MacBook Pro.

Thanks!
Rich.

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Yes, you can use Preview to resize the photo...you just need to export it from Photos to your Desktop first. Or, you can use Photos to resize them as you export the photo(s):

1. Click on a photo/photos in the Photos app to select it/them
2. Click File > Export > Export 1 Photo... (or however many you have selected)
3. Click the down-arrow button to the right of Photo Kind: JPEG to show more options
4. Select a Photo Kind and File Size, and any other options you want and click the Export button
5. Navigate to the Desktop folder, or wherever you want the photos files to be saved to and click Export button again
6. You can now add it/them to an email in Outlook 2016 in the size you want

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have additional questions.

C

Ask a Question