Persistent spam

Reaction score
A problem I have never had before: I'm having a lot of trouble with spam (using Mail).
For the last few weeks I've been getting one or two spam emails. I've made up Rules to put them straight into Junk. This works (although I often have to go in to Message > Apply Rules before anything happens - in other words, the option to apply a rule doesn't work at the time of making it). This is a nuisance, as I have to edit a rule just about every day.
However, there is one particularly persistent one: from Captain Cook, which contains a different variation in the subject line every day. For example, one day it will be Captain Cook; the next day CAPTAInCOOK.
Has anyone else had this problem? Better still, can anyone offer a solution?

Reaction score
A problem I have never had before: I'm having a lot of trouble with spam (using Mail).
For the last few weeks I've been getting one or two spam emails. I've made up Rules to put them straight into Junk. This works (although I often have to go in to Message > Apply Rules before anything happens - in other words, the option to apply a rule doesn't work at the time of making it). This is a nuisance, as I have to edit a rule just about every day.
However, there is one particularly persistent one: from Captain Cook, which contains a different variation in the subject line every day. For example, one day it will be Captain Cook; the next day CAPTAInCOOK.
I have given up on creating a rule for every spam mail that comes in, and I understand how those persistent spammers are able to get around those rules anyway. Instead, when a spam e-mail comes in, click on the sender name. The real e-mail address will be revealed. Then choose Block Contact. A red international “NO” icon () will appear to the right of the address. Then send it to the Junk folder.

I’ve had better than 95% success with automatically sending these to Junk, and it’s easy enough to detect false positives in your Junk folder if you don’t see this symbol after the header. It at least gives you a chance to determine if it’s spam or not. I get a lot of false positives when, for example, I make changes to an online account and I get a confirmation e-mail from them. Apple Mail seems to right away flag these as junk mail. Very often I’m waiting for an e-mail reply for a code or other information, only to find that Mail had sent it directly to the Junk folder.

Reaction score
I have given up on creating a rule for every spam mail that comes in, and I understand how those persistent spammers are able to get around those rules anyway. Instead, when a spam e-mail comes in, click on the sender name. The real e-mail address will be revealed. Then choose Block Contact. A red international “NO” icon () will appear to the right of the address. Then send it to the Junk folder.

I’ve had better than 95% success with automatically sending these to Junk, and it’s easy enough to detect false positives in your Junk folder if you don’t see this symbol after the header. It at least gives you a chance to determine if it’s spam or not. I get a lot of false positives when, for example, I make changes to an online account and I get a confirmation e-mail from them. Apple Mail seems to right away flag these as junk mail. Very often I’m waiting for an e-mail reply for a code or other information, only to find that Mail had sent it directly to the Junk folder.
thanks for your response. I'll try the action you describe and see what happens

Ask a Question