Persistent "help"

Reaction score
Odd thing. I was using Scrivener with 'check spelling as you type' on, and a little window appeared on the desktop saying: "This word was not found in the spelling dictionary". It is what's written in the Spelling and Grammar window just below the entry box.
The message is on a yellow background, and can't be selected, moved, removed, and sits over everything in all Spaces.
I imagine it would disappear if I restarted the computer.
Anybody have an idea about how it created itself, where it fits in the system, and what it's for?

Reaction score
Update: the yellow window has a shadow behind it. When I click on it, whatever's underneath is selected. It seems not to exist in the realm of functionality.

Reaction score
That window appears to be made by Scrivener. Perhaps there is a way to change it's behavior in Scrivener's preferences.

Reaction score
I looked in Scrivener Preferences, but nothing that I changed had any effect on the yellow window.

However, I quit Scrivener, restarted, and the yellow window's gone. So I'll probably never know what was going on.

Reaction score
I have the same problem (that little yellow window was on top of everything I did, and wasn't removable or responsive) and I don't have Scrivener.

I think this persistent warning started in Mail, but I'm not sure. I quit Mail, and it stayed there. I then quit Numbers, which I'd also been using, and the window stayed there. However, between then and now (while I registered with this forum so I could post), it disappeared. I didn't notice exactly when.

So it's not Scrivener. It might have been Mail or Numbers, if quitting them eventually led to the window disappearing. It's certainly worth keeping an eye on this.

(I'm also using Snow Leopard latest on Intel.)

Clytie

Reaction score
In my case it disappeared when I quit 1password. Maybe it isn't app specific.

Ask a Question