Password issue

Reaction score
My father in law got his first Mac about six months ago. He has the latest version iMac with the silver frame vs the white one, and is running 10.4. This is where it gets vague, and I apologize, but I guess someone was trying to help him fix an issue and reinstalled the system software. Now whenever he starts his computer up he has to put his password in to do anything. Prior to the reinstall he never had to do this. I have never had to do this either.

Anyone have any suggestions how to get this to stop occurring?

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
My father in law got his first Mac about six months ago. He has the latest version iMac with the silver frame vs the white one, and is running 10.4. This is where it gets vague, and I apologize, but I guess someone was trying to help him fix an issue and reinstalled the system software. Now whenever he starts his computer up he has to put his password in to do anything. Prior to the reinstall he never had to do this. I have never had to do this either.

Anyone have any suggestions how to get this to stop occurring?

Thanks,
Mike

It sounds as though he has disabled automatic login. Go to System Preferences, click on accounts, click on Login Options, click on lock, enter password, click on OK, click on blue box with arrows adjacent to the Automatic Login heading, click on user name, enter password, click on OK, click on lock, and close System Preferences. Phew. :)

Reaction score
Just wanted to update you, and let you know that solved the problem! Thanks again for your help.

Mike

Ask a Question