Output from MacBook via USB.Serial cable

Reaction score
I currently have (in increasing order of desirability) a Windows/Linux desktop, a Linux laptop and a MacBook with Mac OS X 10.6.2 and I write simple programs using C++ and compiling on a Terminal with GCC and Qt.
I recently bought a Garmin GPS eTrex to use for geocaching. It came with a windows-only 10-day free program and after several days struggle I can now download from the internet Geocaching site details of Geocache locations, and run the program "gpsbabel" to transfer these details via a USB/Serial cable to my eTrex.
This works correctly with Windows and Linux, but not the MacBook.

I use a command like
"gpsbabel.exe -i geo -f geocahing.loc -o garmin -F com3:" - Widows
"gpsbabel -i geo -f geocahing.loc -o garmin -F /dev/ttyUSB0" - Linux
"gpsbabel -i geo -f geocahing.loc -o garmin -F ????" - MacBook
where -i,-o are the input/output, -f the input file and -F the output file/device.

For my MacBook -F works to a file,but says "no USB garmin device found" when I try to use the USB/Serial cable.

I found the "com3:" by looking at the output of the GPSBabelGUI program.

I found the /dev/ttyUSB0 device name by looking at the /dev directory and guessing and trying which of the many entries might work.

I can't find any likely entry in my MacBook /dev directory and wonder if anyone knows how to get a USB/Serial connector working.

The MacBook weighs half the Linux laptop, so is what I am prepared to carry in my rucksac.

Ask a Question