OS went corrupt?

Reaction score
I have com.apple.dockfixup.plist in HD/Library/Preferences, but no com.apple.dock.plist or com.apple.dock.db. I only have one library folder, and it is my HD?

Are you sure? That's the first time that I ever heard this. You should have a Library in your home folder along with documents, pictures, movies, etc.

Reaction score
I can't run any DMG files. I guess the installer isn't working? I tried to run the Combo DMG I downloaded via the Desktop to the Laptop, but that didn't work. Going Apple/SoftwareUpdate doesn't do anything.

Reaction score
I can't run any DMG files. I guess the installer isn't working? I tried to run the Combo DMG I downloaded via the Desktop to the Laptop, but that didn't work. Going Apple/SoftwareUpdate doesn't do anything.

It sounds like your System Library has seen better days. Do you have an external CD/DVD drive you can hook up to it and do an archive & install? I always recommend doing an erase & install but in your case you want to save your apps. Which version of Photoshop is that by the way?

Reaction score
It's not just Photoshop, it's the entire CS suite plus my Macromedia 8 suite.

The only other CD/DVD drive I have is on my Desktop.

Reaction score
It's not just Photoshop, it's the entire CS suite plus my Macromedia 8 suite.

The only other CD/DVD drive I have is on my Desktop.

It's difficult to diagnose problems like this as there are so many variables and possibilities. I would try to find a way to run a good maintenance app like AppleJack, MainMenu, Onyx, Cocktail, Tech Tool Pro and, or Disk Warrior and if that didn't do the trick I'd perform an archive & install. I'd also recommend getting a good external CD/DVD drive.

Reaction score
I can't afford to buy any new equipment or software.
Is it possible to run my 10.3 install disk on my Desktop for the Laptop through the FireWire?

Reaction score
I can't afford to buy any new equipment or software.
Is it possible to run my 10.3 install disk on my Desktop for the Laptop through the FireWire?

I've never tried it but as long as the Laptop's hard drive mounts and is recognized by the Desktop Mac, it would surprise me if it couldn't be done. If you're going to attempt the archive & install you might want to make it a point to have user settings preserved.

Reaction score
So, you found your Photoshop copy. Great! Bear in mind that some apps will not work after an archive & install because some of the files it installed were in the System Folder and the System Folder gets replaced with a new one. I should have mentioned this before. I'm moving too quickly.

Reaction score
Ugg. Well, I'm still having issues. Get this...I ran an install via the Desktop to the Laptop...and it works if I access the Laptop's HD via the Desktop (by holding down option while I reboot I can select between the two)...Like I can run 10.3 on my Desktop (which is 10.4) from the Laptop and it works...But when I disconnect the FireWire from the Desktop and just try to run the just the Laptop I get nothing but a grey screen with a circle with a line through it?

Reaction score
And another. This link has a few things you didn't try. This is why I like the "Erase & Install". After doing an Erase & Install and the Mac still don't start, it's more than likely a hardware issue. Airport Extreme Card, RAM,etc.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1411

Reaction score
Ok, I did the "Erase & Install" and I'm still getting the circle with a line through it deal...
If the Laptop is connected to my computer via FireWire I can access and run its operating system by selecting it after rebooting while holding down the option key...But I can just run the Laptop by itself...

This is so weird...

Reaction score
Ok, I did the "Erase & Install" and I'm still getting the circle with a line through it deal...
If the Laptop is connected to my computer via FireWire I can access and run its operating system by selecting it after rebooting while holding down the option key...But I can just run the Laptop by itself...

This is so weird...

Assuming that the installation was successful using this method, it sounds like a hardware issue. Have you tried it without the Airport Extreme card? Have you checked your RAM?

Ask a Question