OS went corrupt?

Reaction score
Firewire Powerbook G3
Mac OSX 10.3.9

A few weeks ago I ran an automatic update for iTunes & QuickTime on my laptop. After it rebooted, I lost my dock and the ability to do anything with the files on my desktop (like I double click to open, and nothing happens).

I can still use all of my software, but I can't minimize anything because I have no doc. It's also not reading CDs, as I thought a repair might be able to be run from my OS disk and it wouldn't read it.

So the BIG issue is that all of my current design software (CS) is on this machine and I no longer have the disks and codes (long story). I have no idea how to fix any of this so that the laptop functions properly but I don't lose my software.

Any help would be appreciated.

karazelle

Reaction score
Does your Mac automatically log on?

You should try to create an extra user account.

You should also attempt to run permission fix from Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities

If possible, you could try to get the latest Combo update for your MacOS X version from apple.com and run that...

Reaction score
Does your Mac automatically log on?

You should try to create an extra user account.

You should also attempt to run permission fix from Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities

If possible, you could try to get the latest Combo update for your MacOS X version from apple.com and run that...

Yes, it automatically logs in. I can not create other user accounts because I can not access the System Preferences (I double click the application and nothing happens). I also can not run the Disk Utility because when I double click that application nothing happens.

Let me see about the combo update you suggested...But if it's a DMG file, it won't work because it's not running any new software installations.

karazelle

Reaction score
No way to borrow a friends disk or worst case scenario bring it to a local Mac store? If you have another Mac you can connect your Mac to it using a Firewire cable and boot it holding down the T key on the keyboard. That will make it appear as a firewire disk on the other Mac and you can run Disk util or in worst case recover files and data from it.

You can also try single user mode repair:
Shut Down Mac completely, Restart your Mac.
Immediately press and hold down the Command and S keys until text begins to scroll on screen. In a few more seconds, the Unix command line prompt (%).
Type fsck –y (fsck space minus y).
Press Return key.
Text will start updating the progress...if there is damage, the final line will say ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****.
If you see that message, REPEAT Steps 3 and 4 again and again until that message no longer appears. Having to run fsck more than once is normal, because the first run's repairs may uncover additional problems.
The end should read: "The volume <name of disk> appears to be OK."
Then type "reboot", then press Return to boot back off the hard drive.

karazelle

Reaction score
You can make it not log in by holding down Shift when your background has turned blue but before you see the login box. That kind of assumes you have another account to log into though...

Reaction score
Here's the list of things that I've already tried:

• fsck
• safe mode (looks/acts the same as my login)
• new user (can't access system preferences)
• combo update (can't install software)
• disk utility (can't access)
• OSX cd (doesn't read the disk)

I don't live near a Mac store (nor can I afford the bill I imagine they would charge).

I've already FireWired all of my files to my Desktop, but the software doesn't transfer and work (which is a MAJOR problem). The files do me no good without the software. Even if I do successfully find a way to transfer the software so that it works, what am I supposed to do with the laptop? It doesn't read the OSX installation CD.

Can disk utility be ran from my Desktop to the Laptop?

karazelle

Reaction score
Can disk utility be ran from my Desktop to the Laptop?

Provided your desktop is a Mac and you connect a firewire cable between the firewire ports on your two Macs, you can boot the laptop into firewire target disk mode by pressing down T when the laptop boots.

Then yes, you can run Disk Utility on the other Mac. To copy the Adobe software over you'd probably want to look for stuff like both /Library/Application Support and Preferences as well as the similar ones in your home folders Library and other folders you might see. Also think about fonts etc. I have never tried to copy/move Adobe over in that manner however.

I cannot recall, but you may be able to also download and run the Combo updater and point it to the laptops harddisk, but no guarantees.

Reaction score
I'm still getting an error with the software:

"Your Adobe Fill In the Blank user name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid. The application cannot continue and must now exit."

Where is this located so I can move it to the Desktop? I've already moved everything in Library/Applications Support.

Reaction score
I'm still getting an error with the software:

"Your Adobe Fill In the Blank user name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid. The application cannot continue and must now exit."

Where is this located so I can move it to the Desktop? I've already moved everything in Library/Applications Support.

Greetings, if you're trying to transfer Adobe Photoshop piece by piece from one Mac to another, don't bother. Adobe Photoshop places files and folders in many different folders on your Mac in many different locations, some of them being invisible. If you registered Photoshop, I'd recommend contacting Adobe's support. :)

Reaction score
No, I didn't register the Adobe Suite...

Ok, since I can't transfer, how is this issue with the Laptop fixed?

Reaction score
Post #8 lists everything I have tried:

• fsck
• safe mode (looks/acts the same as my login)
• new user (can't access system preferences)
• combo update (can't install software)
• disk utility (done via FireWire connection; nothing wrong)
• OSX cd (doesn't read the disk)
• "zap" PRAM

Reaction score
Post #8 lists everything I have tried:

I see that you recently added "Zap" PRAM to your list. I was hoping that this would get your drive going again. Have you considered moving your com.apple.dock.plist, com.apple.dock.db, and com.apple.dockfixup to the trash and rebooting?

Reaction score
I have com.apple.dockfixup.plist in HD/Library/Preferences, but no com.apple.dock.plist or com.apple.dock.db. I only have one library folder, and it is my HD?

Ask a Question