Opening programs at start up

Reaction score
Hi, How can a stop a program from opening when I turn on my computer (Imac)? Or do the opposite? (simple question, but I'm a klutz). Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

There are two ways to enable/disable automatic opening of apps/items at login:

1. Open an application, click and hold on its icon in the Dock, choose Options from the pop-up menu, and select Open at login. Follow the same steps to remove the checkmark to remove it from Login Items.

2,  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups > your user > Login Items > click the + plus button and navigate to the application/item, click once to highlight, then click Add button - or click and drag an application from another Finder window into the Add window. Highlight the application in the Login Items window and click the - minus button to remove it.

Let us know if that works for you.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your answer. Both solutions didn't work, but I'll take another crack at it; maybe I didn't do it right.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What is the program that is starting up at login? Some apps have it set in their own Preferences to start up at login.

Reaction score
Hi, The two things that open when I boot up are: Mail and IWorks 09. Probably not important, but I'm the only one using my desktop, so I never log in; I just turn the computer on and these two programs open.

I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question