Old mac

Reaction score
I have been given an Apple Mac, from my father in law. Not sure how old it is, I know he had it for quite a few years before upgrading to a newer and bigger model. Anyway, I don't know anything about these machines, and it seems to work faultlessly, but it won't update. I opened About My Mac, and it's running Mac OS X, version 10.6.8, processor 3.06 ghz intel core 2 duo, Memory is 4Gb 1067 MHz ddr3. So, i'm guessing Apple no longer support these models, and I guess the question is, Can you update it to run current versions some how? is there a special procedure? or am I now the proud owner of an Apple Mac decktop brick?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sounds like what I am running - an iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009). If so, it will run up to macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra. Correct, Apple no longer supports them and they are obsolete...meaning they cannot be repaired by Apple and parts are mostly impossible to find. However, you can still find RAM to upgrade past the 4 GB (up to 16 GB) that is in it. If you click the  icon in the upper left of the screen, then select About This Mac as you did, it should give the exact model and specs.

OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard does have the App Store, where you can purchase applications. But, many of them will not run on Snow Leopard.

The Software Update mechanism only applies updates to your current version. You need to download a newer version to perform an upgrade. But, Apple only keeps the latest version available in the App Store.

You can get the upgrade to High Sierra directly through Apple and the App Store, but it requires you to be running OS X 10.8.x Mountain Lion first, which is no longer available. ;) You could try lugging the iMac into the Apple Store...they may upgrade it for you, but I am not sure they still do that for unsupported older models. Maybe there is a Macintosh User Group in your area. Normally, those folks will be happy to help you out.

Hope that helps.

C

Ask a Question