Reaction score
Hi!

Specs:
MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008)
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Running on OS El Capitan

I've gotten to the point where the macbook is getting too slow to handle the things id like it to do. For example, I like to upload photos and videos and do editing but even things like playing back a video via a USB drive is too choppy and not a smooth playback.

Is upgrading to an SSD and finding a 3rd party place to download the latest OS going to solve my problems? Or should i just invest in a newer Mac?

Reaction score
Hi,

should i just invest in a newer Mac?

Yes defiantly something to consider.

But must just add that one of my MacBooks is a late 2010 and it has no issues running Aperture or iDVD for editing movies and image files. Its spec is as follows.

Attachments

• spec.jpg
    spec.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 144
Reaction score
Problem with Apple
I had an iMac on NO AUTO UPGRADES, yet without warning , in middle of night, it upgraded to Catalina. There was no mention of it going from 32 bit to 64 bit , so all my 32 bit programs including all my paid for Microsoft Office became nonfunctional. Couldn’t go back to old OS and reinstall and my .docx are gone. Plus my MP4’s that were video recorded by an expensive video software program.
Thanks apple for your planned obsolescence !!!!

Reaction score
Problem with Apple
I had an iMac on NO AUTO UPGRADES, yet without warning , in middle of night, it upgraded to Catalina. There was no mention of it going from 32 bit to 64 bit , so all my 32 bit programs including all my paid for Microsoft Office became nonfunctional. Couldn’t go back to old OS and reinstall and my .docx are gone. Plus my MP4’s that were video recorded by an expensive video software program.
Thanks apple for your planned obsolescence !!!!

Most likely, you inadvertently gave consent to the upgrade, mistaking it for an update of the existing operating system. It is easy to do.

Reaction score
Hi,

As i said my old MacBook is a 2010 not 2008, and I know that Apple only recommend 4 - 6 gb of RAM, but that does not mean that the MacBook will not run on more.;) here is the 2010's activity monitor screen shot.

Attachments

• Am.jpg
    Am.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi!

Specs:
MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008)
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Running on OS El Capitan

I've gotten to the point where the macbook is getting too slow to handle the things id like it to do. For example, I like to upload photos and videos and do editing but even things like playing back a video via a USB drive is too choppy and not a smooth playback.

Is upgrading to an SSD and finding a 3rd party place to download the latest OS going to solve my problems? Or should i just invest in a newer Mac?

Hi! I have an iMac - early 2008 running OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan). I tried running a later version of the OS, but this resulted in problems with the Printer Driver since it only supports up to OSX 10. I did however change out the Apple Hard Drive for a new 1TB, OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD, (OWC has a bunch of video clips on their site that shows you how to do this.) and the difference in performance was like night & day. I highly recommend it. Performance improved in a very BIG WAY! Of course, I don't know: if your macbook is already equipped with a SSD, you may not notice quite the improvements that I experienced with my system. You may wish to check it out however, and good luck!

Ask a Question