SOLVED Notifications - offending item not found in Mac Settings

Reaction score
Mac OS Ventura - The System Settings, Notifications, click an app or website to turn off “Allow notifications.” does not show the offending item. I get McAfee and various 'Virus found' notifications, however, I ran my own Virus protection program (Clam) and it shows no virus present on my system. How do I stop these dubious notifications.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 09.50.52.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 09.50.52.png
    366.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 09.52.18.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 09.52.18.png
    292.2 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Mac OS Ventura - The System Settings, Notifications, click an app or website to turn off “Allow notifications.” does not show the offending item. I get McAfee and various 'Virus found' notifications, however, I ran my own Virus protection program (Clam) and it shows no virus present on my system. How do I stop these dubious notifications.
My Clam says it would pickup anything that Malwarebytes would.

Reaction score
Hi Freddie,

Do you actually have McAfee installed on your Mac? Also, how many different AntiVirus apps do you have installed?

If you have more than 1, you may be getting false positives.

My 1st guess would be that McAfee is reading the definitions of clam or abother AV app as a false positive.
If you do not have a McAfee subscription, or do not plan on getting one then the 1st step to get rid of the alerts is to totally uninstall McAfee. I would recommend running their uninstaller, and then do a system search for any file with the name McAfee in it. To do the search I like a tool called EasyFind by Devon Technology (https://www.devontechnologies.com/apps/freeware)
If you do plan on getting a McAfee subscrition then uninstall ClamXAV.

For most Mac users an AV app is not needed, if you do feel that you need an AV app, how you use your Mac will determine wich AV app will work best for you.

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply. I do not have McAfee on my computer and Clam have since found the answer to this issue. Clam support said ... please try opening the Safari app and go to Settings > Websites > Notifications > select the picture that matches the picture on the notifications you're receiving, and remove it. This this the trick. I tried click 'Deny' (see attachment), but you have to remove it to stop the irritating possibly spam notifications reoccurring.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 17.35.10.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 17.35.10.png
    441.8 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Glad that you resolved this.

I would recommend that you uncheck Allow websites to ask for permissions to send notifications.

Web notifications have been an issue a few times for me since there is no way to tell that a notification is from a website, or if its a system notification. Hopefully Apple will fix this in a future version of macOS so that you can tell the difference..

Reaction score
Thanks, on your advice I have now unchecked Allow websites to ask for permissions to send notifications.

Ask a Question