SOLVED Notes Checklist

Reaction score
A family member created a Notes checklist on my iPhone. I tried to do the same on my iPad but I don’t have the checklist button at the bottom of the screen.

I checked where the checklist was stored on my phone, and it is ‘On my iPhone.’ I then checked my iPad, and it is ‘On my iPad.’ So why don’t I have the same options?

Both devices are running the latest updates.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Just for clarification:
  • Which models of iPhone and iPad?
  • Which version of iOS/iPadOS?
  • Are signed into iCloud with the same account on both devices?
  • Can you post some screenshots from the iPhone and iPad in the Notes app?
C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,

iPhone 7, version 15.5
iPad 6th gen, version 15.5

I’ve never used iCloud. I never understood it as I couldn’t get signed in, so I just gave up. As a result, all my files are saved on whatever device I’m using. As I mentioned above, each device has its Notes settings to store on the device, rather than iCloud, and it works fine on my phone. Despite my iPad being newer than my phone, it’s the one which doesn’t have the checkbox button, and I don’t know why.

I’m not bothered about being able to synch the Notes files between devices, just to be able to use the checkbox option on both. I always have the prepared grocery list on my phone, and you’ll see the checkbox icon at the bottom, but when I tried to make the same on my iPad, there’s no checkbox button.

351E7B8C-F182-468C-B86E-D753569ACF97.png

Attachments

• CBEC0BBE-79F0-4B1F-A4A5-88294770AB94.png
    CBEC0BBE-79F0-4B1F-A4A5-88294770AB94.png
    171.2 KB · Views: 7

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, that is strange indeed. Did you setup the iPad as a new device or from a restore of backup from an older iPad?

Try closing the Notes app completely. Then, tap and hold on the Notes app icon and a pop-up menu will appear. See if you have the option for a New Checklist:

IMG_0143.PNG

If you don't have any notes to save on the iPad, you could try deleting the Notes app completely and reinstall it.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,

I backed up from a previous iPad. I tried your first option of selecting ‘Checklist’ from the pop-up menu and it worked. Once that new checklist was created, I clicked back to the Folders page to see the difference between the two files and noticed that the new one was created ‘on my iPad’, whereas the first one had, for some unfathomable reason, been connected to a seldom used email address, despite my settings being for Notes to be saved on my iPad.

Anyway, now I know how to do this, so thank you very much for your help. :)

Ask a Question