No way to change WiFi connection password on Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I had to change my WiFi password today; I did it from the WiFi itself, not through the Mac.

When I go to update it on Mac, there's no option in Settings > Network to update it. I tried things and ended up getting a Diagnostics dialogue box; since Windows lets me type in a new password after going through its Diagnostics prompt, I figured Mac would do the same thing. Instead, I walked through several steps of diagnostics, waited 10 minutes for it to generate a big compressed file, then couldn't find the problem, and didn't give me any password box to type in.

When I look up how to do it, Apple's documentation tells me to open the Airport Utility app (what? why? WiFi settings are already in Network settings), and to open the "base station"; well, going there showed nothing labeled base station, just a globe saying no internet, and clicking anything at best said no connection. Looking at Apple's example pic, the base stations only show after you're connected to WiFi... :facepalm: ... so, apparently that's just how to change the WiFi's password from Mac, not update the WiFi password Mac has stored for it...

Why is this so difficult? Why isn't there just a button to change the WiFi password?

I ultimately discovered that the only way I could type in the new password was to delete the WiFi connection... which of course obliterates my particular configuration for it there. Re-adding it gave me the password prompt. Why is deleting the WiFi connection required to update the password Mac has stored for it???

Reaction score
Go to Keychain Access in Utilities, and in the Passwords tab, select your router's network password. I believe Network Utility is just to change the base station. I assume that what you're trying to do is change the password that the Mac gives to get to that base station.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Keychain Access in Utilities? Where's Utilities? Searching for that in System Preferences or Launchpad shows nothing. Are you using exact terms or quasi-terms? I need exact terms please, different operating systems or versions often use different terms, even if slightly. I'm using macOS Monterey.

When I search for Keychain in System Preferences, it highlights Passwords (with the key icon); when I enter that (and enter my Mac user password), it just shows a Passwords box with 1 account, my Google account. That's obviously not my saved WiFi password.

If I go back to Network (in System Preferences), the word "Utilities" or "Keychain" isn't there.

Reaction score
Click on the desktop, click Go in the top menu bar, click Utilities, click Keychain Access.

Alternatively open Launchpad, click Other, click Keychain Access.

Reaction score
I found the WiFi password not in desktop (whatever you meant by that), but in Finder > Go > Utilities > Keychain Access app.

Also it's in Finder > Applications (Mac) > Utilities folder > Keychain Access app.

I think the descriptions here and on Apple docs were not quite right. I don't know why I didn't find an Apple doc describing this.

Reaction score
As with many things on a mac, there are multiple ways of reaching the goal. Both the methods I suggested will work and the descriptions are valid..

Reaction score
I'm not pointing out an issue with finding something on Mac, I'm pointing out issues with how you described things.

I left better ways to describe things... please just be more conscious of how you describe things. I only found what you were saying by stumbling on something and remembering a certain thing from before. If I'd have followed your description literally, I would not have found what you were saying.

Reaction score
In that case I apologise for being a babbling idiot. Have a nice life.

Reaction score
LOL I give you feedback to make it easy for people here you're trying to help and you got offended. That's really disappointing. Maybe it's best you not try to provide solutions here.

Reaction score
LOL I give you feedback to make it easy for people here you're trying to help and you got offended. That's really disappointing. Maybe it's best you not try to provide solutions here.
Don’t worry I won’t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question