No volume on laptop

Reaction score
I recently used my earphones to listen to a meditation on my laptop. ever since I pulled out the earphone plug from my computer, I can't seem to get the volume on my laptop to work.I keep getting the visual of the circle with the line through it, basically telling me no sound is available. I've also noticed that when I push the volume button, not only do I get that symbal, there seems to be a red light coming from the plug for the earphone. Very strange. Then I plugged the earphones back in, and I have sound again, and can adjust volume. Anyone have this problem before? And if so, how can I fix this?

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

there seems to be a red light coming from the plug for the earphone
Sounds like it is stuck on digital input/output mode, you could try re plugging the headphones in and out two or three times and hopefully that should trigger the circuit board.

Reaction score
I am using this space because I cannot locate a more appropriate one. I want to write a a new topic. It is my first visit to MacHelp.

Reaction score
Hi Erin and welcome,

Just choose a sub forum that best describes your question then use new post to post it.

Reaction score
I recently used my earphones to listen to a meditation on my laptop. ever since I pulled out the earphone plug from my computer, I can't seem to get the volume on my laptop to work.I keep getting the visual of the circle with the line through it, basically telling me no sound is available. I've also noticed that when I push the volume button, not only do I get that symbal, there seems to be a red light coming from the plug for the earphone. Very strange. Then I plugged the earphones back in, and I have sound again, and can adjust volume. Anyone have this problem before? And if so, how can I fix this?
I had exactly the same problem though no red light. I put the earphone jack in and out a couple times and the volume is now working.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

Sounds like it is stuck on digital input/output mode, you could try re plugging the headphones in and out two or three times and hopefully that should trigger the circuit board.
This works! Thanks!

Ask a Question