No startup chime

Reaction score
My 2018 Mac Mini no longer makes a startup chime. Is there a way to fix that? Also, how do I reset the pRAM? Command-option-P-R doesnm't seem to do it.

Reaction score
My 2018 Mac Mini no longer makes a startup chime. Is there a way to fix that? Also, how do I reset the pRAM? Command-option-P-R doesnm't seem to do it.
Open Terminal (/System/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and enter the command:

sudo nvram StartupMute=%00

press <return> and enter your password. Press <return> and you’re done.

The code to reverse this (i.e. to mute it) is:

sudo nvram StartupMute=%01

When you try to do a PRAM reset, how long do you press down the ⌘-⌥-P-R keys? Depending on your Mac, it might take a while to hear the startup chime (oops,forgot you’re not hearing it), but it must sound twice before releasing the keys and then restarting. So activate the chime first before resetting the PRAM.

Also, if you have SSDs on your Mac (internal or external), the PRAM reset will disable TRIM. Very bad for SSDs. So right after a PRAM reset, open terminal again and enter the code:

sudo trimforce enable

or “disable” to disable TRIM. You will be prompted to restart, so make sure you don’t have other apps running. Maybe better to do this in Safe Mode.

Reaction score
Terminal commands did not bring back the chime, and ⌘-⌥-P-R doesn't do anything. The Mac shows the white apple, and goes through the startup sequence, but restarts without a PR reset.

Reaction score
By any chance do you have a Firmware password set? If you do then you will not be able to reset the PRAM until its removed.

Also, have you tried to reset the SMC?

You do this on a mini by doing the following.
  • Shut down the computer.
  • Unplug the power cord.
  • Wait fifteen seconds.
  • Attach the power cord.
  • Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Ask a Question