Imac Startup issues

Reaction score
Hi, I recently repaired my iMac which was "stuck" and took a long time to boot up. It would take 10 - 15 mins after logging in, to get to the main screen. After installing a new HDD, reinstalling the OS, and other hardware tweaks by the shop - that problem was fixed.

Now I have another issue where after logging in to the main screen, it just takes a while to open any app or windows - e.g. safari or word or chrome. Or rather, they don't start. A blank window might be there. I've already disabled login items.

The one solution that works is simply hard restarting the iMac two more times - with the power button. Then everything runs fine.

So in all, it involves 3 logins. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is the case? Thank you in advance.

Imac 21.5 inch, late 2015
Intel 3.3 hz Quad Core - i7
1 TB SSD (a few months old)
16 gb RAM
Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response.
  • What other "hardware tweaks" did they perform?
  • Hard restarting the Mac with the power button can easily corrupt the OS and cause similar issues to what you are experiencing.
  • Do you have any third-party utilities installed like an antivirus, network security, etc.?
  • What login items did you disable/remove and are there any listed?
  • When shutting down/restarting, have you unchecked Reopen windows when logging back in?
  • Are the versions of Microsoft Word, Chrome, etc. up to date and compatible with macOS Monterey?
C

Reaction score
Hi,

• What other "hardware tweaks" did they perform?
    They may have tried something with the motherboard - not sure.

• Hard restarting the Mac with the power button can easily corrupt the OS and cause similar issues to what you are experiencing.
    What should I do otherwise if the beach ball is suspended there?
    I have just updated to the latest version of Monterey. Am trying to monitor.

• Do you have any third-party utilities installed like an antivirus, network security, etc.?
    Yes - Sophos for anti-virus. And a temperature monitor installed by the repair shop. They told me to use the temperature monitor.

• What login items did you disable/remove and are there any listed?
    Everything has been disabled.

• When shutting down/restarting, have you unchecked Reopen windows when logging back in?
    Yes, will do that. I usually have Chrome and Safari open and those are the ones that can't log in until I do a repeated reboot. Whatsapp Desktop takes a long time to load also, so sometimes I quit that.

• Are the versions of Microsoft Word, Chrome, etc. up to date and compatible with macOS Monterey?
    Yes.

Ask a Question