SOLVED Can't switch startup disks

Reaction score
I have older applications that I use which require me to switch to previous versions of MAC OS. In the past I have been able to do this using the Startup Disk app in System preferences by leaving the choice of startup disk unlocked. I could then chose the startup disk by restarting and pressing Option when I heard the tone. Lately, when I unlock the Startup Disk app, the app automatically locks my choice when I close the app, make it impossible to select any startup disk except the one locked.

What is going on there and how can I get back to being able to make a choice in startup disks?

Reaction score
You should not need to unlock it to select a disk when you boot holding the Option Key held down at boot.

After you boot holding the Option Key, if you want to make one if the disks the default, just hold down the control key when you select it.

Reaction score
I have older applications that I use which require me to switch to previous versions of MAC OS. In the past I have been able to do this using the Startup Disk app in System preferences by leaving the choice of startup disk unlocked. I could then chose the startup disk by restarting and pressing Option when I heard the tone. Lately, when I unlock the Startup Disk app, the app automatically locks my choice when I close the app, make it impossible to select any startup disk except the one locked.

What is going on there and how can I get back to being able to make a choice in startup disks?
I didn't have the keyboard plugged in properly so the system didn't know I had pressed th Option Key!

Ask a Question