Can't Get "display notification" to Work

Reaction score
BBEdit has this cool feature where you can attach custom scripts to specific functions within the application.
In my case, I'm trying to add a simple notification to the moment a document finishes saving. I do a lot of editing of files on network shares that are not on the LAN, they're halfway across the country. So having a subtle beep when the save is done would be useful.

So on BBEdit's end of things, the script is set up properly. If I throw a "beep" or a "display dialog" on the right handler, it works just fine. But my "display notification" command just doesn't work. No error, no message, no nada.

I have gone into System Prefs, Notifications to make sure Notifications are turned on for BBEdit.

I can't think of anything else to check, something seems to be blocking notifications specifically.

on documentDidSave(savdoc)
beep
--display notification "Save Complete" sound name "Pong2003"
end documentDidSave

on applicationDidFinishLaunching( )
display dialog "BBEdit is open!!"
end applicationDidFinishLaunching

So the above script is in the right folder, and named BBEdit.scpt. The 'beep' command runs when it should, the 'display dialog' command runs when it should. But the 'display notification' command just quietly fails.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delayed response.

I don't have much experience with this, but maybe another member will chime in.

I do know that the folks at Bare Bones Software have excellent customer service. You could try reaching out to them as well.

C

Ask a Question