Odd startup problem

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old iMacPro running Ventura 13.4. When I startup Photos starts up. Photos is not included as one of my startup programs, and it is something I rarely even use. When I log off or reboot it is never left open. Any ideas on what is going on here?

Reaction score
Could be it was open during a reboot and got set as re-opening after? Just a guess. From Apple's help:

macOS Ventura or later​

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings.
  2. Click Desktop & Dock in the sidebar.
  3. Scroll down on the right and turn on “Close windows when quitting an app.”
See if that resolves it. Here is the link I got that from in case there. is anything else helpful on that page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204005

Reaction score
Could be it was open during a reboot and got set as re-opening after? Just a guess. From Apple's help:

macOS Ventura or later​

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings.
  2. Click Desktop & Dock in the sidebar.
  3. Scroll down on the right and turn on “Close windows when quitting an app.”
See if that resolves it. Here is the link I got that from in case there. is anything else helpful on that page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204005
I have that set. It's am inconvenience rather than a problem, and it still persists. Thank you for trying.

Reaction score
@maw_walker has given a great suggestion!

If you've already checked that and the problem persists, you might also want to try resetting your PRAM/NVRAM. This can sometimes clear up strange issues like the one you're experiencing.

Reaction score
keep the Photos app in Dock and Right-click -> Options -> Open at login(Uncheck if it's checked)

Ask a Question