Odd question

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I am gonna write a really odd question but hold on till the end with me.

I am looking for a way to basically “hide” the use of a specific application and “hide” the application itself . I am kind of looking for a way that if someone searches it’s name it won’t be found. Could I change the name of an application to whatever AND hide it?
This is an odd question.
Another part of the question is. How can I look up what folders the application used or creates ? Such as cache or related. And know where they are stored ?
Thank you for your help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I don't know of any way to do this. Most applications need to be installed in the Applications folder and have their standard name, since their update mechanism requires that.

You could create another user on the Mac and use Parental Controls to limit access to certain things for other folks using your Mac.

There isn't a standard way to see all related files/folders/etc. for an application. The application AppCleaner can find all related files when using it to uninstall. You can drag the application to the AppCleaner window, and it will list all related files/folders it finds. Then simply cancel to leave the application and support files in tact:
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 09.47.28.png

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question