Odd "Saving" Question about Adobe Illustrator

Reaction score
Hey guys, I think I may have an odd question, but maybe it occurs often, not sure...

Often times when I save an Adobe Illustrator (.ai) file, and I go back to open it, the icon shows up as an Adobe Acrobat file. Sometimes it opens still using Illustrator, and sometimes it open up in Acrobat. In which case I have to Right Click > Open with > Adobe Illustrator.

Is this a setting issue I have, or what's the deal?

What can I do to stop this from happening? So, when I save a file as an .ai, it stays a .ai?

I've provided a screen shot of what I mean.

It's clear that the files are .ai, they were all saved as .ai and sometimes they open with Acrobat... and msot of them change to the Acrobat icon....

screen_machelp.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Right-click (or ctrl-click if you only have one mouse button) on one of the erroneous .ai files, and open the info window for it. In the "Open with" section there should be a pop-up menu depicting which program the file currently is set to open with (you may have to click the little arrow to the left of the "open with" text, so that it's pointing down instead of right), chose Adobe Illustrator in that menu and click the "Change all" button below it. That _should_ do it.

Reaction score
I don't know, but then I don't really know the intricate workings of why and how stuff happens in Mac OS X (or any other OS for that matter).

Ask a Question