No sound on MacBook Air

Reaction score
So here's my issue:

- Started MacBook Air from sleep

- Kernel panic - message on screen saying that I had to restart my computer by holding the power button

- No sound after restart

- Did nothing out of the ordinary before

- When sound buttons on keyboard are pressed, flashes level indicator but is greyed out and will not change

- Greyed out speaker icon on menu bar

- "No output devices found" in Sound in System Preferences

- Flash videos in all browsers load but only play for around 11 seconds (Chrome, Firefox, Opera) or three seconds (Safari) before stopping, but video is not paused and continues to load

- No red light in headphone jack

- Tried restarting

- Tried starting in Safe Mode

- Tried Apple Hardware Test

- Tried PRAM zap

- Tried repairing permissions

- Tried re-installing OS X Lion

- Tried Software Update

- Tried deleting BezelServices preferences file

- Tried plugging in earphones

- Tried cleaning with OnyX

Hardware issue? How much would it cost to get fixed? Go to Apple store or reseller? Any help would be appreciated. This is really bugging me.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

No luck, though. When I open GarageBand, it comes up with message: "GarageBand: Selected Driver not found. (-10202)". After that, opening a project, it says: "Core Audio is not available."

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try this in Terminal (Utilities folder)

sudo killall coreaudiod

You will need to enter your Admin Password which will be invisible so don't worry if you don't see it as you type it out.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Check where GarageBand thinks the audio output is being sent to.

GarageBand > Preferences ~> Audio MIDI

If that doesn't work, quit GarageBand and run Apple's AudioMIDI setup utility which should be in Applications ~> Utilities

Use it to see which audio output device is selected.

Reaction score
In GarageBand, "Audio Output: System Setting". Clicking menu also gives the 'choice' of "no drivers found".

In Audio MIDI, Audio Devices shows "No Devices Found", "No Devices Found on the System".

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I'm afraid you need to take it in to have it looked at because as far as I can see, you have pretty much covered all the troubleshooting steps and this problem is well documented on the webs as a hardware fault. I think we've now covered all known workarounds, sorry to be the bearer of bad news :*(

Reaction score
hah. i have EXACTLY the same problem. brand new (3months old) macbook air, 10.7.4.
well, not exactly - my sound works sometimes, and then goes on the fritz again. super strange.

did you sort this eventually? what was the problem?

Reaction score
hah. i have EXACTLY the same problem. brand new (3months old) macbook air, 10.7.4.
well, not exactly - my sound works sometimes, and then goes on the fritz again. super strange.

did you sort this eventually? what was the problem?

Sort of... turns out it was the logic board screwed up for no reason at all. Fixing it was a couple of hundred, which I decided was way too much, so I got a $3 USB sound card from eBay instead. I'll probably get a Pro later this year. All the best dude! Hope this doesn't happen to too many people...

Reaction score
ahh, bummer. thankfully mine will still be under warranty (though dealing with a repair/swapout will be a shitter!)

thanks for the reply! :)

Ask a Question