No Mail viewer window

Reaction score
Used to be, one click on Mail icon in dock and Mail would open with a viewer window. Now, Mail opens but I have to go to FILE - NEW VIEWER WINDOW to get the window to open. Not a big deal, but annoying. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Late 2015 iMac
El Cap 10.11.3

Reaction score
What happens when you click the Mail icon inside the Applications folder? If things are what you expect to happen, then possibly the "alias" of the Mail icon in the Dock is damaged.

Also, is the Mail application the only one that such odd behavior happens with?

Reaction score
What happens when you click the Mail icon inside the Applications folder? If things are what you expect to happen, then possibly the "alias" of the Mail icon in the Dock is damaged.

Also, is the Mail application the only one that such odd behavior happens with?

I tried your suggestion -- opening mail from the application folder. Mail opened but not the viewer window. And yes, Mail is the only app exhibiting this behavior.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do not use Apple's Mail program for my EMail client, preferring instead Outlook as part of Office 2011. I have an alias of the Outlook program in a folder on my desktop, and have no issues with that.

Hopefully someone who has a much better knowledge of Apple's Mail program can help you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like a possible corrupted plist. Here's a possible fix:

1. Launch Mail and click Window > Message View in the menu bar to make it appear
2. Click Mail > Preferences... > Viewing and check the box next to Use classic layout, then close the Preferences window
3. Quit Mail
4. Relaunch Mail and the Message Viewer should act as normal
5. Quit Mail again and relaunch it
6. If the Message Viewer window is now working properly, uncheck the box next to Use classic layout and close Mail

It should stick then, as changing the settings refreshes the plist file for Mail.

Let us know if that works for you,

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

1. Launch Mail and click Window > Message View in the menu bar to make it appear
2. Click Mail > Preferences... > Viewing and check the box next to Use classic layout, then close the Preferences window
3. Quit Mail
6. If the Message Viewer window is now working properly, uncheck the box next to Use classic layout and close Mail

It should stick then, as changing the settings refreshes the plist file for Mail.

C
I had this problem also. I discovered that if I single click to open the mail program only incomplete emails appear (ie. those in progress but not saved or sent yet. However, if I double click to open the mail program that the viewer opens.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

3. Quit Mail

C
FANTASTIC. WORKED PERFECTLY.

Ask a Question