No Administrator?

Reaction score
I'm running an iMac G5 and upgraded to Leopard last week with some problems... I have 2 accounts on the computer, neither of which have administrator status. They are both labeled as "Standard User" in the system preferences. I can't access anything that requires an administrative username and password. I also can't give any of the accounts administrator status because the system preferences is locked, and guess what you need to unlock it? Is there any way to fix this?

Also since the switch to Leopard I'm having some trouble with iChat. Any screen name with caps in the name gets removed from my buddy list. When I log into my account from another computer, the removed screen names show up. Anyone else having this problem?

I've tried reinstalling Leopard a 2nd time and neither of these problems have been solved... Help?

Reaction score
There probably is a built in Administrator account. If you do not know the account you can start your computer using the Leopard Install CD, select English, and go under Utilities to reset passwords. See if there is a user you can change that you do not know about.

Reaction score
Hello there and Welcome!

Try updating to 10.5.1. It solved lots of problems at my end. Just run software update from the Apple icon and click Software Update.

Best of luck
Searay

Reaction score
Installed 10.5 in my 17 inch Powerbook. It changed my administrator account to a "Standard" account. Have reset password with installation disk(only showed the one account), but it is still a "Standard" account. Can't do a software update because I don't have any administrator account or priviledges.
Any other ideas?

Reaction score
You should do an archive and install. Then when running through the setup process create an admin user and import your current users (your standard user). It is a real pain but it should work. Leopard crashed completely on my MacBook and I did the same thing and now everything works great. Just a time consuming PIA.

Ask a Question