Administrator/Password lockout - need fix NOW!

Reaction score
I am running an old G5 iMac. When I got the message from Apple to upgrade from OS X10.5 to 10.5.8 I did it and ever since, my Administrator has gone bonkers and I am locked out of everything. It won't recognize my password. I have tried all the ways to change it, including the "hackers" versions - and nothing has worked. I have used the install CD and reset the password, and as soon as I restart my system - it has gone back to not recognizing me as the administrator. I have tried to download virus software, but I don't have administrator privileges to load it. This is a nightmare. Is there any help out there? I can't even pull the HD on this machine. HELP!!!!

Reaction score
But, it will create a new account and your old files will still not be accessible.

Creating a new Admin on Mac Os X:
Here's how to reset your OS X password without an OS X CD.
the Working solution for me was to create a new admin
you can create new admin like this by deleting a specific file.

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot
2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime.
(command + s keys on newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good to go again!

hope it helps you

Reaction score
Another option without losing all your data, take it to an AppleService Centre near you, they will boot from the disks and reset the password. You may need proof of ownership.

Reaction score
Thanks Greenman, but it didn't fix my Admin. problem. Is it possible that I have a virus? I can't load any software without Admin password. I DO have the CD - and I tried to use the utility to reset the password, and that didn't work either. Guess I have to use the disk utility to reformat the HD and reload all my applications if I can't find any fixes. I just hate to lose everything - but is beginning to sound like a virus.

Reaction score
No, there are no virus' and the few Trojans don't do this.

So you booted off the DVD and from the Utilities Menu choose Reset Password, selected the correct account and entered the new password twice???

Reaction score
Yep. This has me stumped. I have another HD I can install - looks like a long weekend of re-installs and trying to figure out where all my files will go. I have to have everything back in its place and ready to go by Monday - this has been a real nightmare. No more used Macs.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice - I'm just very frustrated. I love Macs - this has been a rough day.

Reaction score
Sadly the G5 was the worse mac made IMO. I wouldn't trust one with my data...

Reaction score
Wish I'd know this before I'd bought it...oh well...we had to have an older Mac to run a "legacy" plotter at work so I couldn't upgrade to anything too new - what else could I do? I upgraded from a G4. None of the peripheral would run on it anymore since it wouldn't support higher than OS X 10.4.9. So....

Ask a Question