Change Administrator?

Reaction score
Have bought my "new" eMac 10.5 installed. Still had previous owner's password and he as Administrator. I wish to be sole Admin. Previous owner is local and fortunately able to help. I assumed computer to be clear of previous account info. I have now been added as user/admin, at least superficially, the password has been changed to mine but when we went back into the system his name keeps coming up on a certain panel and the Home Folder is still there in his name. He had done a clean install for the sale but then used the computer .
He still has the disc and can re install but is there a way for the Administrator to remove their own account and then allow someone else to take over?
This would be very handy when selling or giving away a (working) computer when there is no disc to fall back on. cheers

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
He needs to sell the discs on with the computer, simple. You need both for everything to be in balance. Otherwise you'll have to find a set yourself but it is easy to buy them as part of the computer.

Do you know if they are Full Retail Install discs? These are universal install discs that can be used on a variety of Macs that meet the required System specs.

I imagine they must be otherwise there would be absolutely no benefit to the original owner to hang onto them.

When you purchase a brand new Mac you used to also be given the install discs that were specific to that mode. By specific I mean when you put the disc in the drive it would look for something like a special code, on the Mac before allowing an installation to continue. if that something wasn't detected, then you would see a dialogue box informing that "you can't install on this Mac etc .... "

As from Mac OS X 10.6, as far as I know, the need for the actual install discs have been removed with both Snow Leopard & Lion being released in the App Store as a download. Very cheap too ... $29 or so, what a bargain!

Bottom line is you'll need those discs sooner or later as they are just about the only thing to save your bacon in a fix. And with the Install Disc you can remove all traces of the original owner ....

Aussie, get those discs.Then come back and we'll sort you out with taking full control of your eMac.

As you can see from this eBay page, Mac OS X 10.5 is way too pricey at present. You need to be very wary about buying the proper discs so please ask here for verification if you choose to buy from eBay.

Reaction score
You have given excellent advice S_D and in my heart i know its true. I can't buy a dsic because money is a problem and mostly i can get by. The "new" computer cost only $50 which i think is excellent value. the one i currently use with 10.4 was $60 with clean install ( and they said the disc had gone missing) , my 10.3 was disposed of through a recycle shop as was the little iMac i started with 4 years ago.. a work colleague installed the system. I did have a bit of a problem with the 10.3 which was eventually put to rights. No one has given me their disc nor offered to sell them, its just the way it is and i can see why the seller would keep 10.5.

He will re install 10.5 for me, he shouldn't have really used the computer once he had done the install for the sale. He now knows. I'm glad he is local and it will be easily done.

I have felt vulnerable without discs but so far so good. i'll cross the bridge if i get there. Another $50 computer would be the way to go if i have to.
On Trade Me they are asking $40 for Panther disc. not a lot of money but the system is dated.

When i bought this machine with Tiger already installed i don't remember having any trouble setting it up so hopefully it will be as straightforward with Leopard when its done.
The reason i was interested to know was so that i could give away my computers as ( and if) i finish with them and be able to remove me as main admin but it looks as if all i would be able to do is give someone else admin rights and change the password.

Ask a Question