MacBook Pro: How can I see who the System Administrator is?

Reaction score
Hi guys! First off - I'm not very good with macs, just gotta admit it. Therefore, I need some help - I bought a used MacBook Pro and I think that the old owner still has system administrative rights because my user has only administrative access, not overall system administrative. It creeps me out that he might be able to view my desktop from another location.
So first off - How can I see who's the system administrator? What's the difference between the system administrator, and just a user with administrative access? And at last, I am not the system administrator - how do I change this / override the current system administrator in order to make that role mine? Thanks in advance for using your time to help me :)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
The Admin account has pretty much full access while the standard user, which it appears you may be, will have restricted access & will need the admin password to install apps & do other tasks that alter the system.

Look in System Preferences (should be in your Dock or it'll be found in the Applications folder) under Users for a list of accounts & their types …

To really erase the previous owners tracks you will most likely need to erase the HD, format & partition it then install the OS again.

Depending on the specs found under "About This Mac" when you click on the  in the upper left you may or not need physical install discs.

Nowadays Apple doesn't release physical instal media when you purchase a new Mac, or if you want to upgrade you just download it from the App Store.

But the OS installer is always there on a hidden partition need you run into trouble & have to reinstall the OS.

Get back to us with the relevant info & we'll go from there ...

Ask a Question