Blank Administrator Login?

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here but I had a quick question.

I noticed several months ago that my administrator login screen, like whenever I need to input the password to make a change to something, has gone blank. I know that the first field is my name and that the second field is the password, so I'm able to click the password field, type the password, hit enter, and log in successfully, but it doesn't actually show anything.

I've also noticed this with Skype, every time I load the application a screen pops up and I have to click the bottom right box, even though I don't remember what it says because it's blank. After clicking the box 3 times (each time a new one pops up) my Skype successfully starts up.

Does anybody have any experience with this problem? It hasn't really stopped me from doing any normal activities, but I figured I would see if there was an easy fix to it.

I've attached photos for reference.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 2013-06-14 12.11.08 pm.png
    2013-06-14 12.11.08 pm.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 2013-06-14 12.10.45 pm.png
    2013-06-14 12.10.45 pm.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 254
Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

Admit never seen this, possibly a setting within system preferences > security. Or a keychain issue. Use disk utility and repair permissions.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your response.

I repaired my permissions, which said it fixed a few things, but none changed the login screens. And I looked around the security preferences, but I wasn't able to find much. I'll continue looking around online!

Reaction score
Hi,

And I looked around the security preferences, but I wasn't able to find much.

Yes there are no settings for this. On Skype right click > get info unckeck the box next to lock, then exit.
Now open Skype what is the result?

Reaction score
When I went to uncheck the box, it was already unchecked, so after restarting Skype it didn't look like much changed, unfortunately.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What OS X version are you running? Is this account a Standard or Admin type? Can you log into another account to see it this issue persists? Are there any other odd occurrences or is there anything you might have done to cause this?

Reaction score
What OS X version are you running? Is this account a Standard or Admin type? Can you log into another account to see it this issue persists? Are there any other odd occurrences or is there anything you might have done to cause this?

I'm running 10.7.5 on a 2011 MacBook Pro, this is the admin account, I don't have a guest or any other account set up, but I could do that if you recommend it. There aren't any other odd occurrences I can think of, everything loads and runs pretty smoothly I'd say.

And oldscribe,

Yes I gave that a shot first, it didn't look like any of the repaired permissions dealt with this issue though.

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes not running admin is better security, and will also tell you if this is system wide or just in the admin account.

Am am at a loss as personally have never seen the SP gear on a padlock.

Ask a Question