newbie in need

Reaction score
well its like this..i have a g4 with osx 10.4 installed on it. I got a 9,2 install disk and and was trying to do a duo boot....well i dragged over the system folder and tried to launch it and it said it couldnt run from the hard disk...I went to the startup disk and i changed it to boot from 9.2....and now of course it wont boot from osx and tries to boot 9.2.....and of course it wont do that without the disk in the drive...i didnt erase or install anything that i know of...but i changed the startup disk...am i hosed or what....is there a way to change it back?.....mannnn live and learn....

Reaction score
Hi chillman,

Try this - turn off your computer (not standby) then turn it on and press down the X key on the keyboard while it is booting up, and it should boot from OS X. It may take a couple of tries though!

Make sure you hold down the X key for quite a few seconds too. Once you have successfully booted in OSX, go to the system preferences pane and check that the startup disc is set to the OSX one and it should start with this everytime.

Reaction score
thanks friend...it got me out of trouble...and it works fine again....but how to install os9.2 on a machine that has 10.4?...\\once again thanks much for your insight!

Reaction score
Depending on the model it may not be possible to run Mac OS 9.2, you may be restricted to running pre-OS X programs in classic. What mac do you have?
If 9.2 can run on the machine, try booting from the Mac OS 9 CD (hold down C while booting with the disc in the drive, if I remember correctly), and just install with the installer on the disc. OS X and Mac OS 9 doesn't share any folders, so they can happily co-exist on the same drive/partition.

Ask a Question