New to MACOS - Help! Trying to do automatic 'SplitView' after bootup

Reaction score
I am new to MACOS so forgive me (Windows person). I trying to use 'SplitView' in MACOS where you can put two windows side by side.

This feature: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204948

And I am successful in doing this in a big 27" 4k monitor that I have by holding down the green maximize button until the application becomes smaller and then snapping each one left and right respectfully.

So I can do this - but I want to do this with two web browsers where when the mac shuts down and then restarts - the two web browsers are still there in the same place side by side. I have the two web browsers set to launch automatically in the mac preferences upon login and they do - however they never open side by side in the split view state that I left them in. When the mac boots back up - both web browsers launch but only one browser fills the screen but I want both to launch side by side upon booting up the mac. One is minimized and the other fills the whole screen.

I am attaching two screenshots - the first one showing how I leave my mac before I shut down - in the split view state. And the second is what it looks like when it boots back up (out of split view state and into one of the two browsers full screen).

How do I keep that side by side splitview when the two browsers launch automatically upon bootup?

You can do this in Windows - so I figured you could do it in MACOS?

Andrew

Attachments

• screen1jpg.jpg
    screen1jpg.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 142
  • screen2.jpg
    screen2.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 136

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I hadn't tried that yet. It should work if you have the browser open and those windows are arranged in Split View, and you restart with Reopen windows when logining back in checked in the restart dialog. It won't if the browser is not running upon restart, even though it is set to launch at login.

I tried it on a MBA running Catalina 10.15.4 and it did work.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory - thanks for figuring that out.

So one thing I didn't mention is that I set my Mac to Auto start itself from the scheduler each morning at a specific time - I don't think that detail matters. I did get it to work - what you said above once - but it's not consistant. I have to use Mission Control (desktops) to leave one state with both browsers open - if I do that - sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't (sometimes it launches the other desktop state upon bootup - ugh).

When you do it - do you get both browsers open side by side without using Mission Control (oh and I do have Repoen Windows when logging back in checked)......or do you not mess with additional desktops and its your one main default desktop gives you that result?

Andrew

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries..

I am not using Mission Control - just open Safari and arranged with Split View, then restarted.

I don't think it will work from a powered off state or schedule, since the browser is not "running" in that state.

C

Reaction score
OK so would probably only work from restarting from a powered state and not a shut down and then restart from a schedule time?

Reaction score
Thank you.
You helped me figure out why I'm not getting the desired result. Its all about how I'm booting up. I will adjust. Thank you Cory!

Ask a Question