new to mac; please help

Reaction score
Hi all
I have just been given a new Macbook pro. I currently use a desktop PC. The PC has DSL modem internet connection. Can I use that account for internet access? I will be getting airport, but would like to get into my msn hotmail account right now on the laptop. Have split the cables and thought I was plugged in, but "no network detected..."
I am incredibly techno-feeble (duh). Difficult even to know what questions to ask a tech support desk.
Advice anyone?? Very humbly appreciated
thanks
harwellm:confused:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hello harwellm & welcome to the forums :)

Does the DSL modem have a spare port for the new MBP? Anyways, you'll need an ethernet cable connected to your MBP then on the MBP, go to:

~> System Preferences ~> Network

In the Location: menu it should say 'Automatic' and in the Show: menu, select Built-in Ethernet from the pull down menu. If the padlock at the bottom left is locked you'll need an Admin username + password to unlock it which you do by clicking on it.

Select the TCP/IP tab next, and fill in the information which you should be able to get from the PC, or by contacting your ISP.

In the Configure IPv4: section, choose 'Using DHCP' from the menu.

So the info you'll need is:

IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router and any DNS Servers that you may use (look at the PCs configuration or call your ISP if you are unsure :))

If you want to network with the PC, then still in System Preferences, click 'Show All' at the top of the window and click on 'Sharing'. Select the Services Tab and tick the box next to Windows Sharing. You should click Printer Sharing too, if you plan to do that. You may be prompted to click on the "Start Windows Sharing" button.

Next, in the same window, click on the Firewall tab and click the Start button to fire up the Firewall.

Click the Padlock to lock it, when you're finished. :)

Reaction score
Dear SD--
Thanks so much for the help--I won't be able to get back to my problem now for a day or two, but it looks like you've covered all the bases.
I'll let you know how it goes...
thanx again
harwellm

Ask a Question