New powerbook doesn't detect external HD

Reaction score
My new powerbook pro (2021/big sur) refuses to detect any of numerous external HD connected to it. As the new mac only has thunderbolt ports, I bought a J5 Create docking station with 3 USB ports. I plugged the 1 T Toshiba into the usb a port and nothing happens. This and any of the many other HDs I have connected have completed ignored by this Mac. Other macs readily detect the drive and the ports cary signal from the camaras so in other others way ways most parts of the powerbook workd together well. Operator error, along with not have the right conectors are likely culprits areevery well to blame. Suggestions, work arounds, tips to a make my mac hole again
rory

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

-Which exact model is the MacBook Pro - 13" M1 or 16" Intel? PowerBooks haven't been made for 15 years. ;)
-Which exact model of j5create docking station? Some require you to connect to the Mac a certain way to allow power pass-through.
-Is the power adapter for the docking station connected?
-Are the external drives portable (bus-powered) or desktop models with a power adapter?

C

Reaction score
1) I have a 13" MacBook Pro 2) M1 (2021) 3) JC543 4) Power adapter for dock is connected 5) external drives all bus-powered. Thanks

Reaction score
1) I have a 13" MacBook Pro 2) M1 (2021) 3) JC543 4) Power adapter for dock is connected 5) external drives all bus-powered. Thanks
i just discovered a usb A to usb C adapter and so I now know that if plugged directly into the mac, the HD is recognized. So my question is, how do I get power to the HD through the dock and/or the USB hub?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

We had another member with the same dock/hub and a similar issue. I believe it requires the j5create power adapter to be connected, and you need to connect it a certain way for the power to pass through. Check the j5create manual.

C

Reaction score
Hi,

We had another member with the same dock/hub and a similar issue. I believe it requires the j5create power adapter to be connected, and you need to connect it a certain way for the power to pass through. Check the j5create manual.

C
thanks I will look into it

Reaction score
I think I have hit on the problem: the docking station comes in two versions, with and without a power adapter. No one, at Office depot, Computer Central, J5 Create, mentioned this nor asked whether I had gotten a power adapter with the docking station, that there was a version with a power unit and one without. So I believe now the answer is a power source .Obviously the third party power adapter I bought yesterday wasn't up to the task, the I buy today better be.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

The powered version should resolve the issue.

Let us know how it goes,

C

Reaction score
Inching closer to a solution. bought power adapter and then another hub (which I plan to return) which gets one HD up, sometimes. Other times the external HD just cuts in and out, 5 -7 a minute X.generating endless "you haven't properly disconecticted your disk" warnings. So back to the store on Tuesday and if not satified, back to Amazon. I was counting on knowledgeable sales staff. Jury is outin that one. Good new is that the HD works, some times.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the update.

Were you connecting all 5 externals to the hub? If so, there may not be enough power to run 5 HDs simultaneously. If just one, then it may be a cable or enclosure issue, even though it worked previously.

I would try each one separately, and see if the same issue occurs.

C

Reaction score
the supercharger J5 arrived yesterday and . . . nothing. Then the thought came to me: Connect the supercharger to the USB hub, but thened cooled on the idea after further research n USB. In a last ditch, Hail Mary Pass I decided to get USB hub with power. Ironically, it was a J5 that saved me, a very simple 7 port USB powered hub. So, the bottom line take away is this: The more layers separating the desktop from where the hard drives are found, the more power is required. And don't anyone to tell you what you need or have a handle on the latest and greatest. Finally, those with the least to gain are the usaully the most helpful. Thank you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Yes, you definitely want to have external drives connect either directly, or with the least amount of devices between them and the Mac. You definitely need a powered USB hub versus a non-powered one.

Sounds like you found a working solution then?

C

Reaction score
Cory, here's an example of the Mac being "improved" to the point where what never was a problem for decades, now is a problem.

Ask a Question