New MacBook can't connect to Airport -- older bought used iBook can (Comcast)

Reaction score
Good evening.

I'm in a funk. After having developed a deep appreciation for OSX and the Airport base station -- through purchasing a used iBook G4 a year and half ago -- I just brought home a brand new Mac Book Dual Core 2.33. Beautiful machine! Now here's my issue.

The (bought used) iBook connects to our home Airport base station without a problem. This is what I am currently typing on. My Mac book however doesn't. My airport wifi signal is maxed out, the network prefs says I am connected, but all I get is this frickin' Comcast page. I can see a webpage flash (whether it be google of yahoo, etc but I am imediately pulled back to this comcast page, "Welcome to Comcast High-Speed Internet -- Download installtion software)

I have researched the best I can on this and haven't come up with much. This above Comcast installation asks for an administrator password then says it is wrong. Comcast says I don't need to do this anyway... I plugged the ethernet line into the Mac book and am connected, bang! However, over the airport nothing. Naturally, the comcast amazingly stuck up attitude driven woman declared it wasn't a Comcast issue.

I feel I am missing something. The airport book says nothing about a special config. One base station should be good for more than multiple computers.

So I come to you, hands in the air, help!

-Groove

Reaction score
Hi, and welcome.

I am assuming you are getting the comcast via Safari?

Have you tried launching a different browser such as Firefox and see what happens? You can download on the machine that is working and then transfer via several ways.

Reaction score
Hi Kyomii,

Firefox is one of the first programs I installed. :) It simply shows this Comcast page in question while Safari upon launch will actually show whatever address the 'homepage' is set to. Upon any click directing it to another web location it then switches to Comcast. I'm wondering if I need to configure something on the Mac Book -- maybe the Airport assistant?

Hmph.

Appreciate the response!
-Groove

Reaction score
Have you not set up your network settings to access the wireless network?

Try connecting it via a wire first and see if it connects successfully - this may help to get rid of the comcast page to.

If it does, then you know it is a wireless issue, so you can go through your settings.

Reaction score
Hi Kyomii,

It's working! Sat down again yesterday evening. Wife's working iBook and my non working Mac book side by side -- comparing all of the settings. I erased the old Airport network and created a new one from scratch then found all of my Mac book settings were identical to the iBook except for two DNS Server addresses (TCP/IP).

It's all good. Thank you for support here. Think I'll hang around.

-Groove

Reaction score
Hello Groove!

Glad to hear you got it working. I have a PowerBook, MacBook, and a MacBook Pro in our house plus a PC desktop all on Comcast. Recently, Comcast switched server settings. That's why you needed to change those numbers for your DNS settings.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
You would have thought Comcast would have informed you of the recent change in DNS settings :eek:

That is why it is sometimes very difficult to diagnose over the internet, but I am pleased you went through your settings and found the problem. :)

Reaction score
Guys, I completely agree. I would have hoped Comcast to be much more on top of their game. Sadly, the representatives I had the displeasure of speaking with were anything but helpful and once establishing "their" internet connection to our house was okay -- ceased wanting to help me, declaring it must be the laptop, it's broken, call Apple. One person even sighed when I said the computer I was having an issue with is Apple.

Amazing.

Thanks for all of the support.

-Groove

Reaction score
Groove,

I hate dealing with comcast people. They are not very helpful and always mislead their costumers. What DNS numbers are you using? I had a problem with my router today which required me to reset the router and I lost all of my router data. Luckly, I was able to recall the numbers but still...what a pain.

Reaction score
HI,

I just got Comcast for my internet and I have had the same exact problem with my airport. One of the techs came out to fix something else but I was talking to him about my airport and how it was not working. He said something to the extent that Comcast doesn't use a static IP - it is always changing. He said that Mac has created a patch for this. Has anyone heard of this? Like you said, when you call Comcast for help they tell you to call Mac. It is so frustrating.

I see that you were able to get your airport working with Comcast? What steps did you take?

Thanks in advance.
Lesli

Reaction score
The IP address doesn't matter if you have your wireless set to automatic DHCP.

You need to change your DNS settings (although not sure why you should, since here in the UK, DNS is automatically picked up by any router.)

What have you done so far to set up your wireless internet? Have you set a WPA or WEP key? Have you typed this into your Mac computer to access the wireless network?

Reaction score
When we first installed our airport it wasn't much of an issue. I do remember having to call comcast to help out but thye just had me cycle the power on the cable modem.

If you have a cable modem (we do) this is what worked.

-Plug the ethernet line from the comcast modem into the Airport Extreme Base Station.

Now with everything hooked up and powered -- unplug both the airport and comcast modem and wait for 30secs. Plug in the power on the airport first then plug the power in on the comcast cable modem - It will take 10-15 seconds to go through its little light show boot up.

Get on your Mac and setup a network WPA Personal and follow the steps.

Kyomii -- I could post my two DNS servers settings I use for comcast which are in my IP/TCP tab of my network settings. This isn't giving anyone access to "My" computer? Are these "my" personal IPs or those of comcast? I don't want to attract trouble.

Ask a Question