SOLVED new FantomDrives ext HD and "partition"

Reaction score
Hi guys, I bought a new FantomDrives Gforce3 2TB ext HD. I want to partition this drive however, after plugging into my MacBook Pro and erasing the NTFS with disc utility, I am now seeing that the "partition" choice is not highlighting. I erased the drive as recommended by the manual and chose Mac OS extended.
Would this format give me "Master Boot Record"? If so, it now shows in disc utility as a drive that cannot be partitioned ( "partition" choice not highlighted.)
Is there a way to reformat to give me partition choice? Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It may just depend on what you are selecting in the sidebar in Disk Utility.

-Is there a specific reason you are partitioning it?
-Are you trying to use Master Boot Record - will it be connected to a Windows machine?
-Can you upload a screenshot of what your are seeing in Disk Utility?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, I want to partition this drive in order to have one side as a super duper back up for my mac and the other side for super duper back ups of my wife mac. I am not trying to use Master Boot Record. Trying to upload a screenshot but failed twice "file too large" . What I see is disc utility screen with internal add on top and Fantom drive below. When I select Fantom drive the top line shows "First Aid" "Partition" "Erase"" Restore" "Unmount" All are highlighted in black except "Partition" which is grey, ie not a choice.

Reaction score
OK now I got passed no "Partition" . I reformatted to Mac OS journaled. However when I attempt to partition and say apply it always fails to partition and I get this message; "
"MediaKit reports partition (map) too small. If you recently grew your whole-disk, you should run whole-disk repair."
I was trying to split the drive into 2 X 1TB sides.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Try using Command-Shift-4, then press the Space bar...the cursor will change to a camera icon, and if you move it to the Disk Utility window, it will only capture that. That should fix the size issue when uploading.

Did you try running First Aid?

C

Reaction score
Here are 2 disc utility shots. Maybe my problem is I should not use partition type "Apple Partition". Notice how the "disk2s1" is red!! And the other shot shows owners "disabled".?? I did try first aid.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 10.46.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 10.46.25 AM.png
    445 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 10.47.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 10.47.10 AM.png
    477.2 KB · Views: 174

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Owners disabled is correct, as it is a non-bootable drive without macOS installed.

In both screenshots, the Partition button looks enabled...don't try to use the Volume + and - buttons. Try using GUID when formatting. Here are some screenshots of me partitioning an old blank external I had lying around:

Erase
Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 15.26.41.png

Clicked the Partition button
Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 15.27.09.png

Clicked + button to split into two equal partitions
Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 15.27.20.png

Two partitions created - note the first partition is blue and the second is red
Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 15.31.45.png

Once done, I can rename them to whatever, and they show as two separate drives on the Desktop.

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 15.34.52.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 15.34.59.png

See if that process works for you,

C

Reaction score
Thank you, I erased again to GUID partition map and was able to get my 2 partitions. My next question, since I thought "Apple partition" and "Guid" did not allow bootable copies, is, how do I make Super Duper copies be bootable. Man we are almost there!!!! Success with the partitioning.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent!

GUID does allow bootable partitions, as it was the standard before Apple moved to APFS. Apple Partition Map (APM) is what the old 68K and PowerPC Macs used, before GUID, and Intel Macs cannot startup from an APM drive.

You should be good to go,

C

Reaction score
I hooked up the ext HD to my MacBookPro and ran a SuperDuper . Apparently, SD, in the file #3 makes the file be bootable. Is that correct?

Reaction score
Looking good. I appreciate your help today. Thank you very much, Cory, you are a Champ.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

If you follow the SD instructions for Backup - all files and make an exact clone using Smart Update, it will be bootable.

C

Reaction score
That is correct, it makes bootable in section 3. Thanks for the help.
In the next day or two I am going to do this to my older Fantom 2TB ext drive. I will erase and make partition in order to have 2 backups on 2 separate drives for both our macs. Thank you for all the help today Cory.

Ask a Question