Netgear wireless router problems for G4

Reaction score
Having read some of the posts here, I think I have a slower than normal connection with my modem also, but that is not my question here :wink:.

My netgear customer service has expired and my provider Virgin Media, has recommended that I ask someone on this site if they have the instructions to connect 2 macs to a Netgear wireless router? We have done the whole trouble shooting/ installing CD, etc. but it's still not picking up. I think it's something simple, but can't put my finger on it. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

Reaction score
How exactly are you setting it up? No CD should be required. Before setting up a wireless connection, you need to set up the router first via ethernet/wire.

Then, once the net is working with the router, you go into the router's web interface, click on wireless settings, and set up your wireless encryption by choosing the wireless network name (SSID), the method of encryption and your WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key).

The WPA-PSK requires you to type a password - it can be anything up to 64 characters, so people often choose a scentence to make it harder to decode, like "Igototheshopsonmybike" type of thing.

Then, once this is saved and set up, take out the ethernet wire from the computer and the router, and then click on the airport icon in the menu bar at the top right of the screen.

If the icon is not showing, then go to system preferences and click on network and tick show airport status in menu bar.

Then click on the icon and from the drop down menu make sure airport is turn on. Then you should see the SSID name of your router appear after a few seconds in the drop down menu (it depends what you have called it, or if you have left it at the default which is usuall NETGEAR.)

Click on the SSID name and then join network and it will ask you for the password. Make sure that WPA-PSK is selected and type in the same password/scentence that you did in the router. Now it should connected after a few seconds and you are done.

If the SSID name is not showing, reboot your system because it should show it if you have chosen not to hide it in the router. If it still does not show, click on join other network from the airport drop down menu and type in the SSID EXACTLY as it is in the router (and the same case)

Then type your network key/password/scentence, ensuring the same encryption method is chosen that you use in the router ( usually WPA-PSK) and you should be good to go.

Reaction score
Thanks Kyomil, tried all this, but the problems seems to be that the SSID name is listed in the airport and it accepts the password, however it goes not load a page when I try to connect to the internet.

I tried resetting router at back too and did it again but no joy.

New router?

Ask a Question