Macbook and Netgear DG834G - problems!

Reaction score
Hi there

I have a wireless network at home for some years now, using a Netgear router DG834G. The connection is WEP password protected and the router filters MAC addresses. I connect to the internet through a Desktop PC with WinXP. My wife connects wirelessly with a laptop with WinXP. No problems at all with both.

I had a iBook G3 which I also used to connect wirelessly without any problem.

Last week I got a new MacBook. It connects ok to my works wireless network. At home it connects ok to my network through cable. But it fails to connect to my home wireless network.

I tried all the tricks: starting with $, 0x, etc... and nothing.

I then see that Apple has a firmware update to the Airport Extreme card. When I tried to update it in my MacBook, it says that my system does not meet the requirements to install that update.

My questions are: would this be because my MacBook already comes with this latest firmware update (2007_003)? If so, how can I check?

I know the firmware on my router is not the latest one released by Netgear but I'd prefer to try to update the firmware on my MacBook before.

Any tips/tricks are most welcome.

Reaction score
Oweing to the connection via ethernet working at home and the wireless working at work several of the possibilities are ruled out

The areas that I would want to check myself would be;
1. Check that you've entered in the correct mac address for the wireless and not the ethernet port on the router. I've made that error a few times.
2. Depending on the network at home and at work there may be some issues regarding IP addresses. With my Macbook I've had to set up different locations as some networks i join require me to have all the network info set up correctly on the mac, which conflicts with other networks where the information is obtained automatically.

Josh

Reaction score
Oweing to the connection via ethernet working at home and the wireless working at work several of the possibilities are ruled out.

1. Check that you've entered in the correct mac address for the wireless and not the ethernet port on the router. I've made that error a few times.
2. Depending on the network at home and at work there may be some issues regarding IP addresses. With my Macbook I've had to set up different locations as some networks i join require me to have all the network info set up correctly on the mac, which conflicts with other networks where the information is obtained automatically.

Josh

Reaction score
Oweing to the connection via ethernet working at home and the wireless working at work several of the possibilities are ruled out.

Josh

Hi Josh
Thanks for the reply but...

1. I'm sure the MAC address is correct. If I disable the WEP encryptation, I can access the internet.
2. Yes, this is the case. I have different network info at work and I'm sure to change it when I'm at home.

As I said, my old iBook worked fine and had the same configurations for home and work. What does the new MacBook has different, except for the fact of being Intel based, etc...? Is the new version of the Airport EXtreme card "incompatible" with other third part routers?

And why can't I istall the latest firmware for the Airport EXtreme card?

Cheers

Nico

Ask a Question