Netgear router can't connect to internet

Reaction score
I don't know what's going on here: I hope maybe someone can help.
I have an iMac G5, running Mac OS X 10.3.9 and a Netgear router. Also a Windows pc that is also connected to the router.

All was working fine until suddenly the Mac started saying Can't find the server.
It's not a router problem, because the pc is still connected to the internet via the router; I have replaced the Ethernet cable with the one that worked on the pc, so it's not the cable; the router has a two lights to show two computers are connected, so it's not the Ethernet port.

I've checked and re-set the settings on the router, but I can't access it from the Mac via any of my browsers - I have Firefox, Safari and IE. Finally I tried re-installing the router software from the cd, but it just brought up the same message: can't access the server, so it wouldn't install.

The ISP people say they can't help because I have an internet connection so it's not their problem; the Netgear people say they can't help because they don't support Macs and the router is obviously OK. So where do I go from here?

I'd be really grateful for any help. The Mac is my main computer, and without the internet I just feel helpless.

Many thanks.

Linda

Reaction score
Hi Linda, and a warm welcome!

Have you tried rebooting the router? Plug it out for 30 seconds and then let it train again. Make sure all systems are turned off first though! Once trained, boot up your computers (one at a time) and then try.

I know you do not think it is a router problem, but sometimes the "cannot find server" issue happens to me with machines connected to the router, but has, on occasion, allowed one and even two devices that can connect without problems, while the rest cannot.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I just do the above.

IF unplugging your router for 30 secs and then turning it on again does not fix the problem, then turn off systems again. Now RESET the router (there should be a reset button on the back of your router).

Once reset, the router will be as when you bought it. So, get out your manual, and boot up a machine, launch browser and type in the default password/username to access router settings.

Type in your ISP details/settings again and set the router up, do not forget to save all settings and then reboot the router from the browser control panel. This should solve your problem.

If none of the above works (and it should do hopefully! never failed me yet), then please let us know so that we can look deeper into the problem. Solving problems is a process of elimination, and, with this issue, resetting or rebooting the router works 99.9 per cent of the time :)

Reaction score
Hi Kyomii, thanks for your welcme and your very helpful post.

Yes, I had tried unplugging the router, and resetting it, although I couldn't access the settings.

But it's fixed now: I suddenly realised that the Connect via PPoE box was checked, so I unchecked it .... and voilà! No wonder the Mac kept telling me it couldn't find a PPoE server. Terminal stupidity on my part, but still, none of the clever people who'd been trying to help me suggested that, either.

Now I've found you, I'm sure I'll be back ...

<grin>

Linda

Reaction score
Hi Linda

So pleased the problem is sorted :) Looking at all your internet settings would have been my next step TBH, and congrats to you for sussing it out! :)

Happy surfing! :biggrin:

Not sure why you can't access the router settings from the browsers?

The normal address is http://192.168.1.1 (<- click on that and see if you get an admin page username/password box). If you do get the username/password box up, then put it in your favourites ;)

Ask a Question