Netflix, etc movies & tv shows

Discussion in 'Hardware and Peripherals' started by Kimla10, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Kimla10

Kimla10 New Member

Hello all,
    i have a Macbook Pro (2011) and i like watching German TV via Netflix's. I used the trial on a PC because when I visit parents I take the HP Laptop (I teach adults IT so need this one for course I teach). I love it because I grew up on Nato base in Germany and Netflix allows me to download to watch later, German TV shows which is exactly what I want. Also I live in a flat with mobile wifi so downloading to watch later is wonderful for me especially working late. On the Macbook i can't download films thru Netflix, I’ve been told I can’t use FireStickTV into Macbook. (so I gave it away)

Someone gave me a Chromecast stick but not sure if it’ll work as no HDMI on MacBook.

Macs are supposed to be Media Masters but I keep coming across brick walls. I live in a flat and I want my Mac as my media station. I don’t have or want a TV.

I used to use an online download site but it dissolved so started in the summer with FireTV software:

Kodi (software) – I tried and tried but couldn’t figure this one out so had to give up

Yes movies – watched online (as only mobile wifi used this only for about 30 mins at a time)

Putlocker – same

123movies – same - yes, putlocker, 123 all went through a downloader site that became rubbish….

Kodi – had another go but apps still not working unless you constantly need wifi (had mine off)

I have the Netflix app on iPad but every time I download it 'fails'. I haven't downloaded app to MacBook, only because I've been told it won't work. I suppose I can try and see if the download is there. But has anyone come across this? I am open to any and all suggestions :)

thank you
    kim

Kimla10, Feb 13, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Kimla10

Cory Cooper Moderator

Hello and welcome.

Macs are great as media centers, but there aren't any portable computers that I know of that can take a Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick, or Roku as an input on their HDMI port. The HDMI port on a Mac, and all PCs, is only an output. It has to do with HDCP compliance.

You currently cannot download movies from Netflix onto a Mac for offline viewing, only iOS/Android mobile devices and computers running Windows 10 with the Netflix app.

Downloading TV shows and movies on Netflix

Hope that helps a bit,

C

Cory Cooper, Feb 17, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question