Why wouldn't I buy an older Mac Pro with 12 cores vs a new iMac i7 quad, etc?

Reaction score
I'm new to Apple computers. I decided to make the switch, and went to the Apple Store online to build a new iMac. When I was done, the computer I wanted was about $3,500.00. So why wouldn't everyone want to purchase an older Mac Pro with 8 or 12 cores, and maxed out otherwise for about $1,300ish? I intend to use it for online college and personal use. Will this work Awesome, OK, or not at all? Are all 12 cores able to be utilized, or does the software have to be specifically written to utilize 12 cores? It seems to me that these older machines might still be ridiculously fast, and at a much lower price than brand new. Please advise. Thank you so much for your advice.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It would really depend on what your use would be. Even though some older Mac models have more cores, newer processors with less cores can actually be faster. OS X/macOS does most of the management of the processing cores, although some software applications can be written to take advantage of them. Honestly, for most home users, the extra cores won't result in any day-to-day performance gains. They were developed for high-end, professional users that work with very large graphics, audio/video, 3D, and gaming applications. Normal uses such as Internet browsing, office production suites, personal photo libraries, and light audio/video work won't benefit at all. Some gaming will, but that isn't affected as much as a stronger video card.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, but I don't see in this case that it matters how I will use it because of the cost of the older, higher end machine is $500-$1000 less than the newer iMacs. Your reply stated that the older Macpro wouldn't significantly outperform the newer iMacs. So that says to me that they perform at a similar level, and at up to $1000 less of a cost, that's very attractive.
However, I just read an article last night that describes the problems the 2013 Macpros were having with the graphics cards burning out due to improper thermal management design. This would be a deterrent, for sure, to spend any amount of money on the older machines.
I did learn some things from your reply that I had been wondering though, regarding how the cores are managed. thank you.

Ask a Question