How to put Windows Docs, Photo's etc onto new iMac ?

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first Apple Computer ( iMac ) I am getting used to it slowly but I am not sure how to get my Files & Photo's which I have on a Memory Stick from my old Windows Vista onto my iMac. Should I drag & drop ? or re-name ? any advise would be appreciated. I'm not very Tech minded so please try not to get too technical.
John.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model iMac?
-Which version of OS X?
-What kinds of files on the flash drive/memory stick?

You should be able to simply insert the flash drive/memory stick and it should mount on the Desktop as a white drive icon. You can then drag-and-drop the files where you want them.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model iMac?
-Which version of OS X?
-What kinds of files on the flash drive/memory stick?

You should be able to simply insert the flash drive/memory stick and it should mount on the Desktop as a white drive icon. You can then drag-and-drop the files where you want them.

C
Hi Cory,
Computer info. = Mac OS Sierra, Version 10-12-6, 21.5" iMac 2017.
Iv'e managed to drag pictures to Photos & Documents to Finder in a fashion ( Need to read up on Finder & Photos ) but I can't drag any Music into iTunes it just says :- Quick Time Player can't open this song.
my Files are in ODT ( Open Office ).
my Photos are in JPEG.
my Music is in WMA ( Media Player ).
can you tell me if ODT, JPEG, & WMA need altering .
Sorry if I sound a bit thick but this is the first time iv'e attempted this.
John.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
ODT (OpenOffice) - Apache OpenOffice for Mac 4.1.3 is only officially supported through OS X 10.10 Yosemite. It still may run under macOS Sierra, but it's not guaranteed. LibreOffice should work, as it is a bit ahead of OpenOffice development. It's current stable version is LibreOffice 5.3.5. I do believe the latest version of Microsoft Office will also open OpenOffice ODT files. I would check with LibreOffice and Microsoft for compatibility assurance.

JPEG files can be opened in Preview and Photos on your Mac.

WMV files aren't very compatible with OS X. You may need to convert them and then import them into iTunes. iTunes can automatically do this for some WMA files, only if they are not DRM-protected.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,
I have been looking at ways of converting the music from my memory sticks from WMA to MP3 or some other format, probably need to download a converter but it's a struggle when you don't know much about computers but hopefully i'll get there, Thank's for your help.
John.

Ask a Question