System Preferences windows won't populate - on two computers!

Reaction score
My older Mac-Mini was giving me lots of issues...just one of them was that when I'd open System Preferences and click on an icon, say, "Sound", I'd get a blank window and it never populated. This happened most (not all) of the time.

I replaced that computer this week with a brand new 27" Mac. I did NOT do ANY importing from my old computer. Everything on it has been a fresh clean install.

And, lo and behold, same issue!! I tried opening "Energy Saver", "Audio", etc - nothing (most, not all, of the time).

It can't be anything on my old computer infecting the new one. So, what gives?

I'm on MacOS Sierra 10.12.5
I've attached a screen shot of my very blank "Energy Saver" window....

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 9.46.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 9.46.03 AM.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 291
Reaction score
That is definitely a weird situation! I have a late 2012 Mac Mini, along with a mid 2013 13" MacBook, both running the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.6, and I am not having (nor have I ever had) such an issue.

It seems like your new iMac came with OS 10.12.5 already installed. And I gather you did not do a re-installation of the Mac OS, correct? What about your applications? Did you do a clean installation of each of them? And did you insure that each of them is compatible with Sierra?

Not sure if upgrading to V10.12.6 will help, but you can get the OS 10.12.6 Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1931?locale=en_US

Ask a Question