Yosemite, System Preferences and Notifications

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I'm running Yosemite on my iMac.
To disable Mail notifications I went to System Preferences, I chose "None" on Mail alert style and I also dragged Mail app into the field "Not in notification center". It works well for that session but after shooting and restarting everything I did is forgotten, Mail app returns to the field "In notification center", mail alert style returns to "banners" and I get Mail notifications.

How can I make my choices saved ? I don't see a "save" or similar button.

Can you please help me?

Thanks a lot for your help
margarida

Reaction score
Here is what I did for each application that I do not want in Notifications:

1. Select Notifications from System Preferences.

2. Click once on each application, then "deselect" (ie, remove the check mark) where it says "Show Notifications on lock screen" and "Show in Notification Center".

3. Quit System Preferences.

When you start up System Preferences again, on the Notifications screen, you should see the application (or in my case, applications) under where it says "Not in Notification Center".

Reaction score
Hi Honestone

Thank you for your help but it only works until I shut down the computer. when I restart it everything is lost and the preferences return to the original ones.
:-(

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What account type are you using Margarida? You can check in System Preferences ~> Users & Groups

Reaction score
Hi Spawn_Dooley

I'm using the Administrator account (so I should be able to modify a lot of things)
I also tried to unlock the lock on the user screen, make the notification changes, and lock it again but after restarting my changes were lost.

Reaction score
Hi Honestone

Thank you for your help but it only works until I shut down the computer. when I restart it everything is lost and the preferences return to the original ones.
:-(

Yes, that happened to me also. But, I also have the Do Not Disturb option turned on. However, I do not use Apple's Mail program, instead using Outlook. Still not getting "bothered" by any software.

Reaction score
Yes, that happened to me also. But, I also have the Do Not Disturb option turned on. However, I do not use Apple's Mail program, instead using Outlook. Still not getting "bothered" by any software.

I think it is what I'll do, turn on the Do not disturb option.

Thanks a lot Honestone and Spawn_Dooley

Ask a Question