Need advice with Macbook Pro M3 Pro 18G issues

Reaction score
Hello,
I got a Macbook Pro M3 Pro 14" 18G about a month and a half ago. I did a data migration from my previous Macbook Pro. Since then, the language-switch-option icon pops up randomly, the screen flashes, the keyboard shortcuts don't work, and commands reverse (for example, docking a file would pop itself right back on screen). Of course, these issues happen randomly, and other than the language icon, they're practically impossible to capture. What Applecare told me was I had imported some kind of virus (or whatever Apple calls their version of virus) from the previous Macbook. They suggested reinstalling the OS and migrating the files from Time Machine which is saved on an external hard drive. I don't use iCloud because I just rather not. Anyway, when I did that the frequnecy reduced about 70%, but they're still there.

I called Applecare again and this time I was advised to manually save all my files to an external hard drive (not through Time Machine), reinstall the OS, reinstall the files, and download the apps again. I feel this is getting a bit ridiculous coming from Applecare. A complete diagnosis was done on the hardware and everything came up normal, but obviously, something isn't.

What could be the issue? I've never had this much issue with a brand-new device.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delayed response.

It sounds like a software issue with something that you transferred, especially since it has happened after a couple of attempts. If you completely erase the MBP, and run it without transferring any of your files, so the same issue occur? I would guess it is an application or preference setting that is causing the issue, not your actual document files.

It will be pretty difficult to diagnose without having hands on the Mac.

Have you tried visiting an Apple Store in person instead of working with AppleCare remotely?

C

Reaction score
If the device was bought recently from Apple it should still be covered under Apple's Limited Warranty. You can check your Apple Warranty status here; https://checkcoverage.apple.com/
Personally if I was having that much trouble with a new device I would take it straight back. They will also have a record of your contact with Apple Care.
Did the device you migrated your data from have any problems and how did you migrate it's data?

Ask a Question